external coving corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there my window bay area has 2 external corners which arent 45 degrees infact i havent a clue what they are, im putting some coving and seeing as you can only get 45 degree mitre blocks what would you peeps recommend to get a closer cut as possible? thank you!

Sponsored Links
Use a sliding bevel http://www.axminster.co.uk/joseph-marples-joseph-marples-sliding-bevel-prod22436/ and a couple of pieces of timber to knock up a "mitre" box to suit your corners.
Starting with a piece of timber mark the angle you have set on the bevel. Then draw lines parallel to both the drawn line and the edge that you have sat the bevel on . Drawing a line between the points where these lines intersect will giove you the correct angle to cut your coving at.

Sponsored Links
It's even more complicated, you have to cut the angle thru two planes not just one. ;)

a magic mitre would save all that banging and crashing, surely!!??

a magic mitre would save all that banging and crashing, surely!!??

I've seen the videos for them before, and they do look handy for coving, but when you want to mitre anything taller than 100mm (not coving, though) you have to effectively make a secondary mitre block with it so you that you have something that resembles what ladylola has described.

Cutting the coving to uncommon angles isn't that difficult if you have a basic adjustable mitre saw and a bevel gauge/angle finder (and these will usually allow you to cut most materials up to 150mm). You need to remember that the coving needs to be upside down when being cut in this type of mitre saw so that the ceiling edge is flat on the base and the wall edge is against side fence (You may need to use a timber offcut to make the taller fence with some mitre saws).

Actually, reading that back, I agree that it does make the job sound a lot more complicated than it actually is - I suppose it's simple to those who know how. :LOL:

Actually, reading that back, I agree that it does make the job sound a lot more complicated than it actually is - I suppose it's simple to those who know how. :LOL:

How right you are , I'd totatally forgot to say that the coving is upside down when cutting - what seems obvious to me isn't of course obvious the original poster :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back