External crack advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at buying a house but there is a crack in the external wall. I will get a survey if I decide to go ahead but was wondering what you guys think.

Also the entire brickwork needs working on. Should I go for re-pointing or will it look better just to have the entire house rendered? Also which is the cheapest option?

brick1.jpg

brick2i.jpg

Sponsored Links
Can you post a piccie which shows the crack in regard to the full elevation? A crack on its own doesn't really prove anything.

I'd say, though, that a few stitch bars and a handful of new bricks then re point would sort it.

Not a big job.

helli bont crack repaire
its not cheep but its red hot m8 look in screw fix m8

Sponsored Links
Joe is right we need more photos. The first picture shows a severe structral crack, and the brick joints are very tight with no way of pointing them up. It looks like solid nine inch brick work and the crack has gone thru the stretchers and headers so I reckon extensive meshing with s/steel mesh and rendering (depending on wether listed building or not) and may be slate or something else wedged into the cracks before hand, Also if it looks like that on the outside what does it look like on the inside? Be interesting to see,, ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back