External Door Frame Joinery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace an external door frame and would be grateful for advice on the type of joinery I should use. The frame is standard in dimension and I will be routing a rebate doorstop into the frame. As this is an external door I would like to use the most secure joinery. Unfortunately the current joinery is too rotten to determine what has been used.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo anchovy and welcome :D :D :D :D

unless its a non standard size you stand to save a maximum of £10 making it youurself

with a hardwood cill and 4 mortice and tennons its quite complicated :D ;)

Thanks for your reply Big All. Do you mortice and tennon the frame first then rebate the doorstop or do you mortice and tennon the non-rebated zone only?

BA, send him the tenner and save yourself some typing... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Deluks said:
BA, send him the tenner and save yourself some typing... :LOL:

l o l

i suspect the man just wants to play with his new toy :D :D :D ;)

you mark up where your rebates are going

you then mark and cut your mortice and tennons making shure the are clear of the rebate area
dry fit your frame making shure you frame is flat and square
check the rebate markings are accurate and line up

dis-assemble the frame and cut the rebates and drip grooves underneath
and if nessesery a groove for the weather bar including 12mm recess in the legs of the frame to hold the bar in ;)

if you plan on building the frame in leave horns on the top[head] and bottom of the frame sticking out sideways by around 3"

you can also introduce mortar grooves [1" wide x1/2" deep]if you frame is being bricked in

and get yourself a bit of dpc [damp proof course] for under the base

Thanks for the advice Big-All, I'll be able to sort it out now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back