External door with a knob cylinder

As I've mentioned , on new builds thumbturns are compulsory, as are the letterbox shrouds to make it hard as possible for a burglar to turn a thumbturn using the device shown. Honestly most burglars these days will just smash a window to get in if no ones home, and sometimes even if they are, it's just the easiest point of entry.

Sponsored Links
Is it a plastic door?

In a house (with a back door and windows) or a flat with no other way out?

Show us the outside keyhole please
It is a sturdy wooden door. It is a house. The theory (suggested by a locksmith) is that a burglar breaks in. Then takes their time getting stuff out using the door (as if he's a resident or a mover) without anybody noticing. Pls see picture.

Attachments

• PHOTO-2023-10-25-14-05-08.jpg
    PHOTO-2023-10-25-14-05-08.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 21
It is a sturdy wooden door. It is a house. The theory (suggested by a locksmith) is that a burglar breaks in. Then takes their time getting stuff out using the door (as if he's a resident or a mover) without anybody noticing. Pls see picture.
Yes, that's quite true. It is supposed to make burglars uneasy if they can't get out in a hurry (hence spare keys should be locked away) and also if they have to climb out through a window, they can only carry away what will fit in their pockets.

As you have a wooden door, you can easily fit a deadlocking latch.
I have one.
Entry from outside always needs a key
Exit from inside (or opening the door to visitors) can be done without a key

It can be deadlocked so the door can no longer be opened from inside (if you know for certain the house is unoccupied, e.g. all occupants go to work, or you go on holiday).

Traditionally, UK homes often had a yale lock, and a separate deadlock lower down, but people get into the habit of not using the deadlock.

If there is a risk of occupants being locked in the house, you can get one without deadlocking. With a wooden door you should protect the letterbox and preferably use laminated glass if a glazed door.

To defeat small children, they are often fitted quite high, out of reach.

As you have a house, you probably have a back door or other means of emergency exit.

Sponsored Links
Here are some examples of British Standard nightlatches suitable for wooden doors. They mostly have quite big internal knob that is easy to grip. Note that the outside keyhole looks quite big, this is an armour protector against violent attempts. BS3621 is the gold standard in door locks.

There are a few mortice locks that are much more expensive. I think Banham have some. Mine is an old model Chubb that does not meet the BS but is very secure and approved by my insurers.

Here are some examples of British Standard nightlatches suitable for wooden doors. They mostly have quite big internal knob that is easy to grip. Note that the outside keyhole looks quite big, this is an armour protector against violent attempts. BS3621 is the gold standard in door locks.

There are a few mortice locks that are much more expensive. I think Banham have some. Mine is an old model Chubb that does not meet the BS but is very secure and approved by my insur

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back