External drain componants needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im building a 2 story side extension and need to fit 2 new drains for my rainwater to go into. there is an old pipe i can use and have exposed but am not sure what parts i need to get to connect into it and where is best to buy it from. I'll need 2 drains then something to bring them both over into a y piece in the middle, then the bottom of the y going down and something to join it into the 4" clay pipe.Something like a flexible elbow as i wont need to join inline to the 4" clay pipe as the drain thats feeding the pipe now will be getting removed.
I've included some pics so you can get an understanding.
View media item 8467 View media item 8468 View media item 8469 View media item 8470

Sponsored Links
Does the drain go into the public sewer or a soak away? If it’s a public sewer have you checked with your LABC you will be allowed to make new connections? Most local authorities now have by-laws prohibiting surface water connection to the public sewer system, most are now so old & overloaded that they are strugging to cope with any increased load, hence the reasons for banning new connections; you may have to create a new soak away.

What you need is, however, available & you should be able to find it in here:
http://www.marley.co.nz/webfiles/MarleyNZ/files/DWVTechnicalManualOct07.PDF

Also bear in mind that Building Regs. Require access from at least one end to clear blockages so you may have to provide an access chamber rather than just teeing directly into the existing pipe run.

i didnt think that would be enough for the amount of rain that comes off a hip roof.9mx9mx9m house dimensions. Is there any certain distance away from the rain water drains i need to put the soak away or any certain depth. Also do the drains need a u bend on the bottom to prevent smalls comes back up through the drains?

Sponsored Links
i didnt think that would be enough for the amount of rain that comes off a hip roof.9mx9mx9m house dimensions.
Depends on the size you make it.
Is there any certain distance away from the rain water drains i need to put the soak away or any certain depth.
Soak away must be 5 meters minimum from the property foundations. Here is a design guide from your very own (I think!) LABC’

http://www.eden.gov.uk/planning-and...nce-notes/rainwater-soakaway-design-guidance/

Also do the drains need a u bend on the bottom to prevent smalls comes back up through the drains?
Don't put your underwear down the drains, it will block them up; throw them in the bin like every one else. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Surface water doesn't usually smell but you should fit a back inlet gulley at the bottom of each down pipe.

Hey, i certainly wont be putting my smalls down there lol :LOL: didn't realise i'd put that. But thanks for the links, the soak away regs is very handy.I have to make one at the end of my drive as well in the near future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back