Connecting Drain to Existing Manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to install an en suite at the back of the house (WC and Shower), with another planned in the loft at a future date. In order to do this, I want to install a 4 inch down pipe onto the back of the house and join it into the current manhole/drain that is already there.

I have a couple of questions:

1. How/is it possible to connect into this old drain? It is approx 15 feet deep and already has six connection within it. (Victorian so clay pipes etc.)
2. Notifiable to Building Control? - I would assume so
3. Notifiable to neighbors? It is a shared drain?

Outside of this and highlighted on the third image is a Soil Vent Pipe that is used for a downstairs WC and rainwater down pipe - could this simply be tapped into if I can get enough fall? Is it correct that soil and rain water can use the same drain? This looks to have been added to the house in the 1980's as a rainwater gutter, then soil pipe for the outside WC.

I am considering getting a builder in to do it but want to understand how to supervise it appropriately.

Any advice would be gratefully received :giggle:

Attachments

• 20220417_175908.jpg
    20220417_175908.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 20220417_175956.jpg
    20220417_175956.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Plan View.JPG
    Plan View.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Proposed Drainage Route.JPG
    Proposed Drainage Route.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
*Please note the red and yellow lines on the plan show the proposed routes for the drainage.

If it’s shared you biggest issue will be your neighbour’s flushing when it’s being worked on

Your only option that’s not going to cost you a lot of money is to use the existing SVP, as digging down to 15ft drain to do anything will be a mare.

Hopefully that SVP goes into the existing manhole and not a rainwater drain. If so, then it’ll be ok to use for your new bathroom.

Yes, BC should be notified for a new bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Dye test on the existing soil pipe, see if it comes out into the manhole. Likely to be a Combined sewer given the age of the property, (i.e. rainwater and Soil into same sewer.)

Any alterations or additions to the drainage system need to be notified to Building Control who may wish to inspect. As its a shared sewer, the sewer and manhole will be the responsibility of your Water Company, their permission needs be sought before carrying out any work on their assets.

So, by far and away the easiest option would be to make a connection to the existing stack, if at all feasible!

Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions, really appreciated. I think I have some food for thought and will look at it again once the weather has improved a little bit.

Certainly looks like the way to go in terms of connecting to the existing stack if possible.

Thanks again - George

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back