External Electrics Pre-Work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Have used this forum a number of times in the past and am now back for some further good advice, I have found the past help invaluable in planning work etc.

We are about to build a workshop in the garden which is away from the house, early nest year we are building a large extension on the rear of the property (bare with me guys), and currently we are about to have work done on the two bathrooms.

The Meter and distribution box etc is over the front door at front of the house.

My question is:

Whilst the ceilings are down in the bathroom downstairs, I will be able to see clearly down the rafter void of the hallway to the meter etc.

I intend to get an electrician in to do the work for this but would it be easier to run a cable down the rafter void to the mcb area so a sparky can pull through and connect later, this will be the power line to the new workshop, so if this is the case:

Does it need to be armoured cable back to the meter and then out to the workshop or can it be standard cable to the back of the house and then connected during the extension build to armoured cable nearer the exit point of the rear of the property using a suitable box etc etc.

Cable will be burried etc as per regs whilst parking area paviers is raised for the new build.

Appreciate this might be difficult to visualise so any further info to clarify please let me know..

Thanks again for any support here.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The problem is to know what your electrician will accept, there is really no need for indoor cables being SWA, but if they are then no real problem as far as buried cables over 50 mm from the edge how do you satisfy your electrician as to where run.

There is only one safe method, select your electrician first and let him say what should be done.

Not sure what a rafter void is.
But you can run standard cable to the meter, then outside in SWA via an adaptable junction box.
You will need to rate the cable for desired load, method of route and distance of run.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You need an electrician to advise.
Your first consideration is "how big a cable do I need".

What will be in the workshop? Lathe, welder, engine hoist, heating, lighting, shower, sauna…

The electrician will need to know what the expected load will be.
The distance of the workshop from the supply is the next factor; then your supply type, are there other external services going into the workshop.
There's lots of variables.
Get your electrician to tell you what is needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back