External Emergency Lights

so realistically it would be easier/better to have two seperate cicuits. one for the em lights, run from the existing em lights and one for the normal outside lights run from the existing light circuit.

Sponsored Links
No, the concept is that should the local supply fail i.e. the outside lights then the emergency lights will come on.

why can't you install maintained bulkheads along the route wired in fp200 and connected to the exitbox which should be installed above the fire exit door
Don't forget to update the emergency light logbook

im an apprentice leky my mentor left
That's what you said nearly a year ago: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1742643#1742643

And they still haven't taken anybody on who is qualified?

They really are taking the p***.

please dont ask its complicated.
Actually it's not.

im not completely incompetent
No, but you are not competent enough to be doing the job your employers are expecting you to do.

my boss asked me to do this
This is a place of work.

There are laws governing who can do what, and your boss is breaking them by asking you to do this job, and you are breaking them by agreeing.

. its a learning curve keep asking until i get the correct answer
You are not being adequately supervised. Asking how to do your job on a DIY forum does not count as adequate supervision.

Sponsored Links
How many dicks have to tell you the same thing before you get it?

Is 4 not enough?

This is obviously a public building so the work should be carried out by a professional electrician.
You may have sufficient qualifications however competence comes with experience.
To gain the necessary experience and knowledge you need to be under the supervision of someone with the necessary experience and knowledge, this is where your company is letting you down and breaking the law (Electricity at Work Regulations).... it is the responsibility of your company to ensure yours and others safety, if this meant employing another fully qualified electrician then so be it....Reality of it is you cannot jump into anything with both feet, you need to learn and do everything properly which basically means you need to learn from a competent person, I'm envisaging you are only about 2 years into your apprenticeship? If so it is criminal to expect you to learn on your own.
I get the impression that you are a concientious person trying to better yourself, but I do'nt think you will be able to live with your conscience if you kill somebody, if not with this job then maybe another, & I'm not sure it would be a legal defence. There must be some body that can advise on a better way for you to complete your apprenticeship & would suggest that it might be a good idea for you to seek that sort of advice aswell as the technical type. Also I am not sure how you will prove to have served a recognised apprenticeship in the future if you continue as you are.

OK I can see the lad has a problem. I would agree he should not be asked to do work beyond his ability but this is not uncommon.

The emergency lamp must be supplied from the same MCB as the normal lighting or if the MCB was to trip you may have no light.

I have seen where some poor lad is given the job of looking after far more than he is able and the boss has the ace card. Something goes wrong and he sacks the lad and gets another so he can show the HSE he has taken action.

I am sure you know by now which route to take as far as the light goes. However I would be applying for jobs elsewhere before you are used as a scape goat. Far easier to get new job while still employed than after your sacked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back