External floodlight

Sponsored Links
Possibly switches and light fitting ,but unlikely to damage the cable. MCB'S ( and fuses) are there to protect the cable from carrying more current than they can safely handle.

Could it be the black cable we have put into the other neutral, on back of floodlight as it did trip before we did this, and now nothing. Will have to take cables out and see if fan/light works without it.

I did also change the fuses in those sockets, the top one had a 5 amp, and the bottom one 13 amps I switched them round but didn't change anything. The outside cable had 5 internal wires 1 live, 2, earth, 2 neutrals.

Sponsored Links
I will unscrew it tommorow and take pictures of cable and back of floodlight thanks for your help.

You will almost certainly need to use the multimeter to establish what the coloured conductors are.
And a pic of the wiring in the seperate junction box with PIR would also be beneficial.

Sounds to me like the extra 'earth' is in fact a yellow core that links the switched live of the two PIR's together, you've likely created a dead short at the new light which is why the fuses are blowing, we need to see a picture of the new floodlight wiring and as we don't know how the old one was wired (always take a picture before starting work) we also need to see the wiring of the standalone PIR too. If you're lucky the standalone PIR still works but the multiple 'bangs' might well have killed it, the new floodlight may also not be compatible with your wiring setup, if it isn't then you'll either have to replace the floodlight for one that is or disconnect/bypass the standalone PIR and just use the PIR on the floodlight itself.

That passive on the corner must be going 90 to the dozen every time the boiler fires up.

And why does the flood have a passive if there is a stand-alone one?

That passive on the corner must be going 90 to the dozen every time the boiler fires up.

And why does the flood have a passive if there is a stand-alone one?

Do you mean because of the vent activating the sensor?.
We think the stand alone passive was to catch somebody at the rear of the house. Bit pointless as the flood wouldn’t light up the rear garden.

On another point how do you get the passive off from the front of the junction box without smashing it off. There doesn't seem to be any screws holding it on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back