External Floor Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have just had in excess of 70m2 of tiling done as part of my renovation project, and it has been quite painful. There is one outstanding issue which is the floor tiling of a storm porch. As the porch is open to the front and the side the floor gets wet and I had expected it to drain to the entrance. It didn't, in fact the water accumulated by the front door. After much discussion with the tiler, I brought more tiles and he had another crack at it. The discussion included him blaming the builder for not putting a fall on the concrete base. During this discussion I said to him that my research was there should be at least a 1:40 fall on it and that as the finishing trade I made it clear that he was responsible.

After the refit Its no better and its obvious there is not enough fall. See link to video of https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5QDEFAvLazZUDZsSF9mUld4UGc&usp=sharing. I have said I will get someone else into do it, take the cost of his bill and pay him the remainder. He is not happy about this, but I don't see what other options there are. Am I being unfair?

Sponsored Links
I think the base should have been built with a fall, and I don't think you can blame the tiler. At the very least, the problem should have been realised at the outset, and a solution discussed. You can't blame the tiler for tiling what was there.

Cheers
Richard

The base could have been built with a fall but a professional tiler could have easily overcome that lack, and tiled to a fall with a slight nosing (which also seems to be missing).

The key point is that you gave clear instructions for what was required, and if the tiler agreed to tile to a regulation fall then the tiler is at fault.

FWIW: all exterior and wet room/area tiling is tiled to falls by default - exactly as all drainage pipework is fixed to falls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back