Faulty Tile in floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
After a bit of advice please.

I have just had my kitchen floor and walls tiled. I bought the tiles and a tiler did the work.

The guy who did it, did a very good job and I can't fault his workmanship. However after he left and I had a proper look at the floor tiles I found one of them had a fairly large blemish in the glaze, in a very noticeable part of the kitchen:

Floor.jpg

I tried to get hold of him yesterday (a couple of hours after he finished the work), and my wife finally spoke to him today. His view is tough, we supplied the tiles and he laid them, and if we have a problem we should speak to the tile shop to get a refund for the tile. He could come back in a week or so to replace the tile, but would charge to do so. My view is if he had done the work with reasonable care he would have spotted this tile, and either not used it,or used it at an edge where it would have been cut.

I wondered what your professional tilers view is, do you check the quality of the product before laying? You must get the odd tile that isn't right, surely you don't use it do you?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Faults are fairly rare with decent quality tiles IME but it’s perfectly reasonable to expect him to check for faults as he lays them even on customer supplied tiles; he wouldn’t get away with than with a developer :rolleyes: . What I can see looks OK so I’m surprised he’s adopting that attitude, he’s either a total Muppet who doesn’t give a toss or blind not to have noticed a fault like that, he should have put the tile to one side & used another. Do you not have any spares? If the replacement comes from a different batch, you could have problems with matching!

It is possible for anyone to make mistakes & I once put a faulty tile right in the middle of a bath shower wall but it was a machine ripple which you couldn’t see on the pattern & wasn’t noticeable in natural light. I didn’t spot it until all finished & the wall was now in the shadow of artificial lighting. I did a lot of effing & blinding but I replaced it at my own expense.

cant understand why the guy wont come out and change the tile for you free of charge, as Rich pointed out, the guy should have noticed the dodgy tile and put it to 1 side and just carried on fixing

The guy has made a decent job of it going by your pic, so i cant understand why he would want it marred, also there is the other side of the coin, this is bad business practice and can lead to negative remarks being passed around which can/will affect his jobs

If you are getting nowhere with him i would advise you to remove the old tile and replace it yourself, you could not go wrong BUT you shouldnt have to

Just out of curiosity, what type of tiles are they???, they seem to have a sheen or it could just be the pic. have they been sealed ?
is the mark definately IN the tile and not ON.
Either way ask your tile fixer to come and have a look " and give you some advice" when he is there just tell him to get it done ;)

Sponsored Links
am with jc ere...about the tiles

are they porcalain..600x300mm "zamora".. range from topps?...

looks like grout haze on them or it could just be the picture?...

nah..looking at the pic again...defo looks like grout residue/haze on them...

Many thanks for all the replys :D

Luckily I do have 1 spare tile!

The tiles are 600 x 300 porcelain, with a semi metallic finish. They are are brown, but from certain angles the light makes parts of the tiles look silver. It doesn't show up too well in the picture. They are from a local independent tile shop, not sure of the make I am afraid.

The mark is definitely in the tile, it looks like the surface of the tile was marked prior to it being fired. It was the grout haze which meant I didn't spot it until I had a chance to really look at the tiles.

I have spoken to the tiler today and he has agreed to come back and sort it out for a reduced price (£30), given the price he initially charged was very reasonable I am not too unhappy, but it is a shame his work has been spoilt by missing this.

when i am fixing tiles walls/floor...first thing i do is CHECK the BATCH NUMBER..on EVERY box....

then i open a min off 3 boxes, and fix tiles, taking tiles from various boxes and check them for imperfections before fixing...

so if i had fixed your tiles... and a tile had a imperfection i would come back... FREE OFF CHARGE..and replace it....why.... because thats what you employed me TO DO....your call...

p.s.
if your tile fixer didnt see that imperfection in that tile......surley his "blind dog" was howling at him..!!!.....£30 he is having a laugh.... :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back