Inconsistancy in quality of tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,
I was wondering whether any of you had experienced any problems with the quality of a large batch of tiles? We have just finished having our bathroom completely retiled, we selected all the tiles and our tiler (who had recently completed tiling our kitchen to a high standard) obtained the tiles for us after we had selected them from samples.
It was only after he had completed the tiling and my wife was able to clean the tiles that we noticed that quite a few tiles around the window were a completly different shade than the rest. Not only this, but our tiles are smooth, however the discoloured tiles are textured. According to the tiler there are always inconsistancies in batches of tiles. While I accept that a water mark, or shading might be slightly pronounced in an odd tile, these are 'screaming' at the viewer and the fact that they are textured only makes matters worse. The tiler says he'll have another look. Has anyone had any similar experiences. Any comments would be most welcome.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
in rare occurrences tiles that are marked up with the same batch code can come out different, unfortunately, once they are up no retailer / manufacturer in the world will re imburse you for new tiles, it may be that this has happened in this case, when any tiler goes to a job one of the first jobs is checking batch numbers, if they are all the same he should still have noticed that they are different from the ones already up and queried it.

i personally in your case would if possible get the old boxes out and check all numbers if there is a difference get mr tiler back and tell him, come on fella sort the job out.

I was recently tiling a floor with slate style/effect tiles,whole floor laid,then at clean up stage noticed that 3 tiles looked slightly different to the rest.
As there were 9 in a box and I checked all left overs and off cuts it was obvious that batches had been mixed in a box.
Had to remove and replace them.

Thanks for your comments they are very much appreciated.
I have spoken with the tiler and he is due to return tonight for a look. I had another look myself from a distance, the difference between the tiles is so distinct that they look as though the tiler has made a mistake in the pattern, where in fact no pattern actually exists. Its a bit of an embarrassment really and i'm afraid they will have to come off. I do appreciate that tiles do vary between batches, but these things are a different colour and have a different surface!
Thanks again. I'll let you know the outcome should it happen to anyone else.

Sponsored Links
If the difference is that bad then your tiler should have noticed (unless he tiles with his eyes shut) plus he would have felt the difference in texture when handling them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back