external flush fitting gas box sleeving problem .

R

rockhpper

Hi i wonder if anyone can help me , ive recently just bought a house that wasnt using gas but had a gas pipe feeding the property . apparantly when the area had the mains gas pipes upgraded they never connected this house as it was empty , on calling northern gas networks they told me i would have to have a complete new gas supply installed . the existing pipework is still inside the house and runs a differnt direction to the trench the gas surveyor told me to dig . anyway the trench is all done and ive just installed a flush fitting gas box into the outside wall . My problem is when ive installed the sleeve which allows the pipework to pass through the cavity into the house it doesnt protrude through the inner wall as the cavity seems to be abit wider than standard .
Can you buy extended spiggots . or could i put a piece of 1"1/2 pipe through the existing spiggot and just seal it the the new sleeve i install before the gas pipe goes through it ? im going to be running 28mm pipe from the meter ?
hope anyone has come across this problem who could dvise me .....i dont know why they dont send a longer spiggoit which you could just cut to suit the wall thickness ... Thanks and great forum

Sponsored Links
Also were the gas pipe enters the gas cupboard as its on the external wall its around 70mm from my consumer unit which can quite easily be moved as i have not quite finished the re wiring and around 200mm from my electric meter .
Now in my gas books ive tried to look this up and it states gas pipes need to be a minimum of 150mm from electric meters . in gas lingo does this mean a consumer unit ? if 70mm from a cu is ok i dont have to move it but if they are meaning consumer unit as well as meter then i will have to move me cu as its around 70mm away from the pipe
thanks again

You are way out of your depth.
Get a gas safe registerd person in ASAP.

You haven't a clue. You are a danger to yourself and others.

How do you work that one out like ?
Or and thanks for the pleasnt reply .

Sponsored Links
i guess the cu is going to be moved . isnt there some typr of barrier that can be fitted between pipe and cu ? altho i supose the house is getting rewired anyway so ill just have to move it over abit if not ..
what about the sleeve ? i would of thought as long as its sealed in the existing one it would be fine . its only 10mm or so to short maybe ill fill the hole in on a bevel on the inside of the house so the sleeve protrudes past the wall without re sleeving .

Why not contact the RGI who's going to be doing the work for you and ask them? If you get the preparatory work wrong he'll only refuse to do the work anyway.

I need to get the box fitted correctly prior to getting northern gas networks out to run the gas to the box .
my problem like ive said is that the sleeve that comes with the box is not quite long enough to protrude 3mm past the internal wall.
All i want to know is can i get a longer spiggot to fit the mk2 box or can i re sleeve me self .

Don't you guys understand, reading between the lines here, he is doing all the work, but don't worry he's got his gas books to fall back on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back