Gas pipe sleeving -

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just aquired a rental property
i did not organise last years gas safety cert but do have one

The gas pipe through the wall is not sleeved, i presume it was like this last year,i beleieve current standards say it need to be sleeved.

Do i need to get the gas pipe sleeved or will i get a safety cert as it is

Had a plumber in on another matter as part of his visit he checked over the gas supply, he found the above lack of sleeving, the meter box door
lock was broken and he says the gas pipes were not clipped correcly

He then threatend to contact trancso if we didnt agree to turn off the gas supply, are the above points reason enough to turn off the supply

Sponsored Links
Gas pipe not sleeved is classed as not to curent standard as is the lack of pipeclips unless the pipe has excessive play in it. Does the gas pipe pipe go thrugh the back of the meter box into the property or does it exit the meter box then enter the proerty elsewhere?

Broken door lock is neither here nor there.

None of those defects are reason to turn off the gas supply
1 Unsleeved pipework is Not to current standards as is pipework which is not supported correctly.This is assuming that the pipework is not showing any signs of distress and passed the tightness test.
2 Not sure about meter box doors,but i'm sure someone will know......
If poss get the pipe sleeved and correctly clipped.Gas safety certs can be issued with Not to current standard faults present.

If the pipe is the one from the meter box into the property, no sleeve/seal means At Risk, which means turn off, which means no gas.

Anywhere else, it's just NCS, unless there are signs of corrosion/damage.

Sponsored Links
Mike, If you are referring to the pipe from a meter box installation without a sleeve(which is not clear from your post)then that situation is At Risk and the supply should be turned of until the fault has been remedied.

It sounds as if he was a right cowboy who was blackmailing you to get HIM to correct it at an inflated price.

Thats evidenced by his wanting to check the gas supply! I expect he does that everywhere he goes!

A nasty person!

Tony

Cheers for the replies

As far as i know it was the pipe straight from the meter box into the kitchen
it doesnt come out of the box and enter the house anywhere else

With the gas off im stuck
He knows i cant leave my tennant without any gas so basically has me over a barrel, Im working away and cant be there

I had no choice but to accept his offer to come back in the morning and sort it all out for £210 + VAT

I would have thought any decent tradesman would have pointed out the the faults and given a quote for rectification rather than switching the gas off and extorting more work.
All he was there for in the first place was to fix a small leak on a hot water pipe, no safety check was asked for.

You are placing yourself in his grasping hands.

As you dont say where it is, you are not giving us the opportunity to see if one of us can help you are a sensible price.

Why not just turn it back on?

Tony

Do you always tell people that appear to have an at risk situation just to turn it back on.

You blurt on about not giving diy gas advice and then come out with that pearl of wisdom.

If you not sure get another quote.

Lee, did you read the situation before saying that?

The property was given an LSC last year.

It seems to have an unsleeved gas pipe which is NCS.

If its NCS it can be left switched om.

This seems to be a total cowboy.

Tony

Stamp out cowboys!

agile it in meter box correct
he can see its not sealved ncs
how can he see it is not sealved becuase it not sealed
but if thats all 210 is tad expesive bg would not charge that much me thinks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back