pipe sleeving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All,

came up in conversation today at work- is it necessary to sleeve a gas pipe through a stud wall, checked in Viper book just says all pipes to be sleeved wether supporting wall or not but i think its refering to solid walls?

And another....
why would running a gas pipe through an air brick be classed as NCS?
Not good practice, i know, but i see plenty done that way on my travels!

I know its late but any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Would'nt want gas escaping into a cavity now would we, they do have them in stud walls you know, and how are you suppose to seal a sleeve through an airbrick, does'nt seem like you gave it much thought.

Gasman1015 said:
Would'nt want gas escaping into a cavity now would we, they do have them in stud walls you know, and how are you suppose to seal a sleeve through an airbrick, does'nt seem like you gave it much thought.

Never said i hadn't given it much thought, not sure why the sarcasm.

Couldn't find anything specific about sleeving through stud walls thats what had prompted the discussion.

Why would it be anymore difficult to seal an sleeve to an air brick than an ordinary brick?

Sponsored Links
Subject of sleeving is causing a fair bit of storm in a tea cup.

My understanding is that gas pipe has to be protected against corrosion and also be aware that pockets of gas will go off with a bang.

So here is my take on above (having donned a steel cap, steel toed boots and body armor. I would use plastic sleeve to sleeve any gaspipe transition where gas is liable to leak into a cavity or structure is liable to cause pipe to corrode or effect integrity of the line. To use copper sleeve does not protect sleeve from corroding. While pipe within is safe, it is only safe as long as outer sleeve is intact. If the passage through the wall is below DPC, copper sleeve will perish at quite a rate.

Have seen many a pie or sleeve passing through the wall that is green with corrosion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back