Gas pipe sleeve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had a gas safety check done on a property that we rent out, and the comment was made that the supply gas pipe is not sleeved and needed to be done. The gas pipe comes up through the concrete floor and the pipe is made of steel. The house was built in the 1930's so my question is does this work have to be done. On previous gas safety checks the gas engineers have never mentioned that the pipe had to be sleeved. Can you please advise

Sponsored Links
when you say your gas supply pipe , do you mean the main service supply pipe that comes into the house before the meter is installed ? or a pipe that comes in to the property after the meter ?

The information we have from the engineer is a bit vague and does not say which pipe, but I am assuming its the supply pipe before the meter.

if it is before the meter then this is not your resposibility and nothing to do with the Landlords gas safety check, this arrangement would not be allowed these days but if it is existing and not leaking then it is not a problem, if it does eventually start to leak then tour supplier will move it outside free of charge, if it is however after the meter that is different and the onus would be on you to sort it out

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much Ian for your prompt reply. I will get in touch with gas engineer tomorrow and find out exactly what he is talking about and will give you more information if thats O.K.

Regards Neil.

No problem Neil, either way it can only be classed as NCS (not to current standards) which just means that when it was installed then it was OK but that the regs ahave changed and it might not be now but you are under no obligation to update it either way buy it is always good advice to do so

Cheers for that, I'm an electrian and as you know our regs are changing year on year and come across very iuch the same thing, but as you say there is no obligation to update.

Thanks again.

Hello Ian, the gas pipe concerned is a 15mm copper going through a single brick wall below a wooden floor. Not sure when the pipe was put in but it must have been some years ago, its certainly above 12 years old. So I presume we are under no obligation to sleeve the pipe. I know its a good idea to do so but just thinking about the disruption to house and tenant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back