Landlords gas safety certificate failed, please help someone

OK thanks finally for someone giving me a rough estimate. Now I have that estimate of cost I wont be ripped off.

I still dont understand if the gas enginner is pulling a fast one. One reply on here was he isn't but then why has he said that the boiler is unsafe to use and marked the paperwork to that effect.

Is the emergeny handle an issue or is the gas pipe or both? Is it best to get both done? Is the cooker chaing ncs or risk?

Does the £150 for the work include all of the work above or was it justs for the handle?

I paid £80 for the certificate and the engineer says he will have to charge again for the test. Should the certificate be included in any tests. The reason for asking is that he charged £80 and I know for a fact he was here less than 30mins because that is what the parking charge was paid for by me. In that time he wrote 2 warning notices and a certificate. So I am querying the £150 cost estimate against the £80 charge - ie the work should take alot longer - I guess.

Are there any good gas companies I can contact in the London area?
I originally found this guy on google and he has a good reputation it seems, the web has alot of reviews for him.

Thanks again everyone.

Sponsored Links
im not trying to get out of my responsibilities - quite the opposite - I want no issues on the completed safety check.

How much would it cost to earth the 'gas meter outlet'

Many thanks again.

Sponsored Links
OK thanks finally for someone giving me a rough estimate. Now I have that estimate of cost I wont be ripped off.

I still dont understand if the gas enginner is pulling a fast one. One reply on here was he isn't but then why has he said that the boiler is unsafe to use and marked the paperwork to that effect.

Is the emergeny handle an issue or is the gas pipe or both? Is it best to get both done? Is the cooker chaing ncs or risk?

Does the £150 for the work include all of the work above or was it justs for the handle?

I paid £80 for the certificate and the engineer says he will have to charge again for the test. Should the certificate be included in any tests. The reason for asking is that he charged £80 and I know for a fact he was here less than 30mins because that is what the parking charge was paid for by me. In that time he wrote 2 warning notices and a certificate. So I am querying the £150 cost estimate against the £80 charge - ie the work should take alot longer - I guess.

I originally found this guy on google and he has a good reputation it seems, the web has alot of reviews for him.

Thanks again everyone.

Yes try Charlie Mullins at Pimlico Plumbers,sure to get a good price there :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Just to add my two eggs worth :eek:

You being a Landlord and an absent one at that (even if temporarily), you really need to sort out a few good honest trades people you can call upon. This will be the start of many unexpected problems that will need sorting, otherwise you will always think you are being ripped off!

... still dont understand if the gas enginner is pulling a fast one. One reply on here was he isn't but then why has he said that the boiler is unsafe to use and marked the paperwork to that effect.

If your installation is not fully up to spec, it is not fully safe. And that is what it says on the paper.

It's not safe, HOW unsafe does not matter. And it is not best to get both done, it is a criminal offense NOT to get both done.

Ask the chap that did the quote.

I paid £80 for the certificate and the engineer says he will have to charge again for the test.

Of course he does, he will have to go there again, and do another job. Travel alone and parking, and packing up his tools and doing the paperwork will probably take between 1 and 2 hours. He is not going to do that in his spare time.

The reason for asking is that he charged £80 and I know for a fact he was here less than 30mins because that is what the parking charge was paid for by me. In that time he wrote 2 warning notices and a certificate.

He did more than that. He took legal responsibility for the safety of your tenants for a year.

So I am querying the £150 cost estimate against the £80 charge - ie the work should take alot longer - I guess.

Just tell us you would have complained even more if he had charged you £80 for 5 minutes, but with the end result of a "pass".

What do you mean by: "other good gas companies? The kind that do not have a good reputation? The kind that spend an hour there in stead of half an hour because they don't know what they are doing?
Or would it be the kind of company that charges less, AND gives you a bit of paper that doesn't indicate any of the apparent failures in your flat?

Let's not forget that YOU are the one that rents out a flat that was never up to spec in the first place; shut-off valves don't go missing, and cooker chains don't walk off by themselves.
And now you have found out, you winge about the price, winge about the pro that did a good job, and winge about how fast he did it.
This is exactly why I tell 9 out of 10 landlords to find someone else to do the job.

I will excuse your rambling post, maybe you were having a bad day.

If your installation is not fully up to spec, it is not fully safe. And that is what it says on the paper

One person said its ok not to have an additional handle one person says its not. I have to pay out money, I dont want to have work done that I dont need to. Why would I? Am a crazy?

He said the cooker chain was at risk, its clearly not as I found on another forum. This is why I am investigating further.

Ask the chap that did the quote.

I am doing that, it was Agile.

Of course he does, he will have to go there again, and do another job. Travel alone and parking, and packing up his tools and doing the paperwork will probably take between 1 and 2 hours. He is not going to do that in his spare time

Whats wrong with asking questions? 2 hours? 30mins like I said. If he is doing work on the gas then shouldnt most of the checks already be done anyway? Why would I pay £80 for the work again? He will already be at the property doing the remedial work so that is my reason for querying the £80 charge.

What do you mean by: "other good gas companies?

Haha, I think you added a word in there by mistake. I cannot contact this guy, you havnt read the full thread.

I think you have something against all landlords but dont blame me hey!

The only person's opinion that counts, so far, is the one putting their name to the certificate. The only person who can challenge it would be another competent person who visits your property in a professional capacity. You can gleen as much sh*t as the web has to offer it won't matter a toss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back