Landlords gas safety certificate failed, please help someone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a gas safety check done recently in London and was notified that it had failed.

Warning notice states that no cooker chain and gas pipe not sleeved.

I am abroad right now and my property is about to be rented out - hopefully before Christmas.

The engineer has now gone on holiday.

Please can someone advise me on cost of repair work before I get someone in.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
edit,

Also no emergency handle but I know for a fact that there is one. Not inside the flat but down below next to the basement flat.

If anyone can advise on the best way forward or if indeed the gas company is pulling a fast one.

Many thanks again.

so please can you advise on how much a safety chain will cost to be fitted, the pipe to be sleeved and a emergency handle to be added?

why would I need two handles?

he had given me a price for all the work but its so high it made me come on here for advice.

how long will the work take and how much will it cost as a rough guess.

i will call someone monday morning but would like a general idea of pricing.

many thanks.

Sponsored Links
There is no pass or fail system on gas certs

If theres something wrong action is taken there and then to make it safe or if its relatively minor, as are your faults, then a note is made and your're advised to get them rectified.

The emergency control valve must be accesible to the tenant at all times. Not in other peoples property. If the meters downstairs outside thats ok but where flats are concerned they like to see one in the property. Hardly any do and im not gonna go hunting for them anyway.

The flat is on the 3rd floor and the gas meter is located with all the other gas meters for the 10 flats. Its outside downstairs next to the basement flat. It through a door which doesnt have a lock.

Is it reasonable for me to have a meter there or not?

Dont I have to get any work done legally? Why does the certificate say appliances safe to use - no...? The boiler has a no next to it on the paperwork, ie not safe to use but not much has been filled in such as working pressure and heat input... why is this?

Thanks for the help so far.

The boiler isnt safe to use because theres no cooker chain or control valve in the flat? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What about pipework installation does that pass.

If the boiler was working then there is no reason not to fill out the details for it. :rolleyes:

Pipeword is not sleeved and appliance is not safe to use.

Should there be a seperate box for pipework installation - because there isn't.

£305 is the quote to do the repair work and if it needs doing then I am happy to pay. Are not the rules set on what is needed and what isnt?

Do I have to fix pipework?
Do I have to get a new handle?
Do I have to get a cooker chain?

Many thanks.

£200000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

ncs don`t worry about handle all u need is some one to put gas vavle on the gas pipe in the property entering the property

we have three cats
ncs=not to current standards u can`t make people do some thing about them unless your gas safe and engineer being held to account
ar= at risk this means it has potenial to cause harm like handle if their problem tenant can`t just shut it down so needs sorting
id= imdeatly dangrous at which point we decommision the appliance

also u can ask for qoute for the work by another gas engineer

...he had given me a price for all the work but its so high it made me come on here for advice.

how long will the work take and how much will it cost as a rough guess.

What do you call high?

In general, we don't give price indications here for 2 reasons.
1. This site is for technical advice, not price comparison.
2. There are too many unknown factors to be able to give an accurate number anyway.

For OP, when you refer to gas check do you mean a Landlords Gas Safety Certificate.
if so
The purpose of the LGSC is a document made available to existing or prospective tennats that you as a landlord have had an annual inspection of gas equipment in the property (any equipment owned by tennant is not your responsibillty and not subject to annual inspection)

The document must indicate any fault/s found, the severity of fault/s and action taken.

There is no legal obligation for you to rectify any of the faults found, it informs the tennat of any faults and gives them the freedom of choice to decide if they want to rent the property.

It is not a PASS or FAIL document. It is a record/snapshot of the situation on a particular day at a particular time.

For OP, when you refer to gas check do you mean a Landlords Gas Safety Certificate.
if so
The purpose of the LGSC is a document made available to existing or prospective tennats that you as a landlord have had an annual inspection of gas equipment in the property (any equipment owned by tennant is not your responsibillty and not subject to annual inspection)

The document must indicate any fault/s found, the severity of fault/s and action taken.

There is no legal obligation for you to rectify any of the faults found, it informs the tennat of any faults and gives them the freedom of choice to decide if they want to rent the property.

It is not a PASS or FAIL document. It is a record/snapshot of the situation on a particular day at a particular time.
There must be a legal obligation to rectify faults otherwise Gas Safety Certificates would be pointless.

Can a landlord let a property without a valid no fail Gas Safety Certficate ??

There is no legal obligation to have the repairs done, the legal obligation bit is not to use or allow use of an appliance thats been classified as unsafe.

The tennant new/old can read document and it might say (example) boiler/ no permanent ventillation, poor flame picture, service reg appliance ID
Cooker, no restraint, not to current standards.

remedial action, fitted vent, serviced boiler.(appliance safe to use box will say YES)

Know if i was a prospective tennant i would question why the appliance had got into such a state, but the paperwork clearly states the danger issues have been addressed. If on the other hand the remedial action stated " left turned off notice issued. .(appliance safe to use box will say NO)

I would be having second thoughts about renting this property

The document gives a tennant some idea of how a landlord maintains and reacts to any issues within their property.

I wonder how you came to call this engineer for the certificate.

Some, a very few, use the certificate as an excuse for quoting an inflated price for doing repairs/improvements. Oddly its rare that I see that with gas inspections but it seems very common with electrical tests. One quoted a customer of mine £940 and I told her how to get alternative quotes and she got it done for just £230 in th eend.

I have not seen the property but I would say about £150 would sound more appropriate.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back