External light fed from behind. How to feed from the surface?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

If fitting an external wall/path light designed such that the cable enters the fitting through a hole in the backplate (ie through the wall) - is there a way to feed it via surface mounted cable instead? I thought of cable (or conduit) ideally above the light (for aesthetics since the light shines downwards), but I assume it would then need a loop of cable feeding from below to prevent water ingress, and the light would also need to be spaced out from the wall to allow cable entry. Any better suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Position the fitting over a vertical joint (perp) and remove the mortar, if you'd rather not damage the brick or stone. Then slot the cable in between the brick.

I've sometimes seen a nice looking building with attractive, even historic, brickwork or stonework where there has previously been either a light fitting or similar, and a chunk of the face of the brick or stone has been damaged. If you later decide to remove the fitting, at least the mortar can be patched up, and the masonry is still original.

Thanks for the genius replies guys, I wouldn't have thought of cutting a chase.
Am I correct that it would need the cable entering from below to prevent water running down into the fitting?

Sponsored Links
I'm struggling to think why a cable on the surface is preferable to a concealed one.

1) I misunderstood your first post - I thought you already had the light wired with the cable entering from the rear.

2) But to answer the above - the cable chased into the wall, in steel conduit if necessary, and the wall redecorated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back