External Lights Spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping someone can give me a little guidance on this.

At present I have a CU under the stairs with a two radial circuits off a single 16amp MCB both go to double sockets. I want to fit two external lights and was planning to do this by extending the radial circuit from one by adding two switched spurs and then running 1.5 T&E to the external lights. The runs will be about 5m and 10m.

From reading this forum this seems OK and also OK to do DIY (No part P) as it's an existing circuit, not in Kitchen or Bathroom and there's no external runs of cable as they'll be going directly into the light.

The one thing that's put doubt in my mind is a piece I read that said:

"There is no limit to the number of sockets used on a radial circuit providing the circuit is contained within an area not exceeding 50 square m, and, just like a ring main, spurs, or extra sockets, can be added. The number of spurs must not exceed the number of existing sockets."

I've tried searching this forum and can't find an answer and it doesn't seem logical to me. I'm thinking it meant don't spur off spurs or in this case are there effectively three "sockets" and two spurs.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What you propose and from your diagram this looks fine, however as it is external lighting I personally feel that it is notafiable, anyone else?

Okay Ian, will look at my Part P document, you are probably right as you say it is through the wall and not exposed, you are adding to a circuit however so you will need RCD protection for the new part of the cicuit you could do this by beginning with an RCD FCU ;)

Sponsored Links
the circuit may already be RCD protected in the CU.. it depends on how old the CU is and whether it's a "split load" board..
do us a pic of the CU and we can tell you..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back