External plumbing - copper or Speedfit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've run a 15mm pipe for an outside tap and got it through the external wall. It's now going to bend 90 degrees and go up to an outside tap. Should I run this in Speedfit or copper to best avoid winter freezing?

Sponsored Links
Copper will look tidier.
If it's going to freeze don't matter if it's plastic or copper it'll freeze.

I prefer copper, lag it well, install a drain off at the lowest point, make sure you have a stop cock or isolation valve inside and turn it off and drain it when it gets really cold.

Copper, installed as a single street elbow that you can solder your backplate for the tap directly on to. This will minimise the amount of external pipework, thereby reducing the risk of freezing considerably

Sponsored Links
How about one of these? Probably too late as it sounds like you've already made your hole in the wall. Do you need to run pipework from the hole? Why can't the tap be fitted where the hole is?
No externally exposed pipework to freeze or look ugly.
HUWPSTR350.jpg

Thanks folks. We can't put the tap where it comes through the wall as it goes under screed and out at ground level so would be awkward to access. Also can't access inside to put an isolation valve.

How about - a service and drain valve as soon as it leaves the house, house it in a small insulated box and then run upto the tap in copper. A bit of work but doable!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back