External Render - Spot Repair...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am looking to spot repair render at various locations around my home.

Should I take the render back to bare brick and build up from there?

Is there any good guides to do this?

What is best product to do this?

Where can it be bought?

What tools are required?

Many thanks for you advice.

G

IMG_8418.JPG

IMG_8419.JPG

IMG_8420.JPG

Sponsored Links
Can you describe what the beige render consists of?
Is the structure brick or stone?
Is the wall solid or cavity?
At first glance you appear to have various coats of render/backings?
Why the colour tone change in the surface dash?

Besides the obvious damage the dash appears to be well worn or failing?
Any signs of damp inside the house?

Can you describe what the beige render consists of?
Is the structure brick or stone?
Is the wall solid or cavity?
At first glance you appear to have various coats of render/backings?
Why the colour tone change in the surface dash?

Besides the obvious damage the dash appears to be well worn or failing?
Any signs of damp inside the house?

Not sure what the beige render consists of. I would hazard a guess that it's just sand / cement combination.

The structure is brick and cavity. It is a John Lawrence bungalow built in 1938.

No idea what that black stuff is. Hence when I want to take it back to bare brick to see what's what.

This is a little trial to see if I can spot repair render before tackling other patches.

This side of the house is north facing and the least weather beaten.

The previous owners have neglected it because I can't really be seen from the road and hence never even painted it. In the condition it's in I wouldn't dream of painting it.

I would agree it is well worn - primarily because it has never had the protection of a good quality paint.

I am honestly thinking of chipping it all off myself and starting again. I would obviously get the professionals in if I were to do that.

There is absolutely no damp in the house.

The soffits overhang the wall so it would receive protection there. The neighbours house is only 4 or 5m away and it's not weather / wind facing. Otherwise I would be in an entirely different situation.

To be quite honest, if you start removing areas of roughcast here and there, and patch it up, it'll look terrible. You'll never match the colour, the sand colour/type will be different, you'll never get it to blend in with the original, it'll always look a patch up. There are so many negatives when trying to patch a rough surface, even artex. Roughcast, even older roughcast, as long as it's sound, can be re-roughcasted onto.
Taking it all back to brick, check out the old brickwork, then scratch coat and re-roughcast would be the ideal way to go, lot of work, but each to there own. It's certainly not a diy job, and that also applies to patching areas of the roughcast.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
In truth I'm not much further ahead in giving you any definite advice.

However, as there's no damp inside the house then why not leave things alone until you are definite about what you want to do - if you do want to take all the house render back to brick then start in the summer not now.

As for paint - the only paint to use is masonry paint applied according to Mfr's instructions.
And FWIW, I've seen lots of unpainted render and dash thats weathered well for many years. Your call.

To fill the hole(s) in the above pic then just use a few layers of patching sand and cement and press some loose dash into the top coat. Small bags of patching mortar are available at plumbers or builders suppliers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back