External rendering help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to re-render the external walls of my house but have never done it before. I know it's probably something I should get an expert in to do but for various reasons that is not possible and anyway I want to learn.
The house is costal and gets hammered by driving rain so my plan is put a slurry coat of SBR onto the walls, followed by a render layer with SBR mixed in to a 4 to 1 sand / cement mix. Then a top layer again of 4 to 1. It is going onto a poured concrete wall made from beach pebbles and cement with loads of gaps inbetween. If anbody can help with the following :

1. Does what I propose sound suitable?
2. As I will be working alone, can I work in stages rather than covering an entire wall in one go. How is this best achieved to maintain the waterproofing (if I did say the first layer of half a gable end one day and the other half of it the next would the join be a weak point or require any special care to avoid leaks)?
3. I haven't got access to scaffolding so was thinking about buying a reasonable scaffold tower to avoid trying to do it all from ladders. Is this feasable or too much hassle moving it all the time? Also the ground is mainly uneven and lawn so not sure how good towers will be with coping with that?

Thanks for any help.
Tim.

Sponsored Links
Do you know where I can find them? I've been reading on here about the insulation thing but not sure what else I need to comply with.

Sponsored Links
Scottish building regs are different in many aspects from England and Wales.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back