External security lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm trying to fit a few PIR security lights on the outside of my house. I've connected the first one and fitted it but it doesn't seem to be working.

I've used 3 core and earth cable as I was recommended too by a bloke in B&Q, it's got the new harmonised colours of black, grey and brown as well as a bare copper wire which all puzzled me.

I wired it up as best as I could make out but as I said it's not working. I've wired the end up to a plug so it can be powered from sockets inside (ease of unplugging)

But as I said it's just not working, any advice for my ambitious but rubbish electrics skills?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links

How are we supposed to know?
You don't say what teh connections are,
or what the make and model of teh PIR lights are,
or how you connected a 3 core and earth cable to a 2 pin and earth plug
or what colour wires are on what connections on the light(s).

So, end of rant

What do the wiring instructions say? There will be some.

Take a photo of wiring in plug
Take a photo of wiring at light and post them on here.

Maybe then we'll have a chance!

What PIR light is it, brand/type?
If the cable is routed externally 3 core and earth is not recommended, B&Q have given you bad advice! As it not suitable for the outside environment!
Why do you think it requires Three core and earth?
Plugs are not suitable for this type of cable, you should be using flex!

Sorry, obviously didn't make it clear enough that I don't know what I'm doing.

I'm only using 3 core and earth because that's what was suggested to me.

This is the model of light:

http://m.screwfix.com/p/iq-pyro-pro-symmetric-pir-sensor-floodlight-graphite-400w/96563?_bck=1

It's dark outside and raining now so I can't take a photo of the wiring at the light end. I'll do photos of that and inside of the plug tomorrow but I've basically wired with the brown as the live one, grey as neutral and black as earth. I've then put they bare copper wire in with the earth cable as I assumed they are both earth.

Is that any more useful? Also the wiring instructions for the light would be simple with normal coloured wire which I suppose is 'flex' which I'm guessing is like the multicoloured wires you find in plugs etc normally? It basically shows which slot is for live/neutral/earth and is wired in the same way as the plug.

Sponsored Links
The light only require 3 cores, these should be in flex not flat grey cable.
I suggest you go back to B&Q and return the cable and tell the numpty not to offer advice on cable/flex selection in future as they are not qualified to do so!

The unit has a 400W lamp, building regulation will not be happy about that!

Again you require a three core flex, that is suitable for the environment, flat grey is not suitable for externally exposed situations, nor is it suitable for terminating into a plug!

The PIR light is very simple to install using flex, brown to live, blue to neutral, green/yellow to earth.
Then you require to set the dusk/dawn setting and time on, then a walk through test is required to make sure it is functioning as set!

Though there are various applications where flat 3 core earth cable is useful with PIR lighting, it's quite likely you don't need it for what you're doing.

I take it you only want the PIR you activate only to activate that light? This is the simple method, particularly if you only want to connect it to a regular 3 pin plug.

The flat 3 core and earth cable would therefore be unsuitable, as there would be an used wire, and you should only use round flex when connecting to a plug.

You would need round 3 core flex (brown, blue, green/yellow). Somewhere around .75 mm2 or 1.0 mm2 in size. 3 or 5 amp fuse in plug.

One possible cause for the light not working could be the lamp inserted wrongly. Ensure the ends of the lamp make contact with the contacts. :idea:

Thanks all for your help. I guess I'll read up on it more next time instead of taking someone's word for it. I'm off to buy some flex this morning, I'll wire it up again and let you know if it works.

If it does I'll go ahead and fit the other two :)

Why would building regs not be happy with a 400 Watt lamp ??

The light only require 3 cores, these should be in flex not flat grey cable.
I suggest you go back to B&Q and return the cable and tell the numpty not to offer advice on cable/flex selection in future as they are not qualified to do so!

The unit has a 400W lamp, building regulation will not be happy about that!

Again you require a three core flex, that is suitable for the environment, flat grey is not suitable for externally exposed situations, nor is it suitable for terminating into a plug!

The PIR light is very simple to install using flex, brown to live, blue to neutral, green/yellow to earth.
Then you require to set the dusk/dawn setting and time on, then a walk through test is required to make sure it is functioning as set!

You could ask them.....

Light pollution and disturbance to neighbours is the main reason they limit to 250 watt. Close to a highway excessive and dazzling light intensity can create a hazard to traffic.

There have been instances where an enforcement has been issued and lamps greater than 250 watts have had to be removed.

OK fair enough, I ask as I have a 400 Watt shining down my garden but adjusted so that it only shines up to my back gate. bearing in mine my garden is about 40 foot long.

No where near A road :)

Cheers for that.

You could ask them.....

Light pollution and disturbance to neighbours is the main reason they limit to 250 watt. Close to a highway excessive and dazzling light intensity can create a hazard to traffic.

There have been instances where an enforcement has been issued and lamps greater than 250 watts have had to be removed.

AHh really secluded and really dark behind me to the point were at night you cant see anything!!!!

SO I Guess it should be ok. Thanks all.

You could ask them.....

So to reduce light pollution they specified a power limit rather than a light output limit? Watt were they thinking?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back