Security Light Problem

Bon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Today I've been fitting some external lights to my new house, consisting of a low level ambient light, and a high level PIR operated security light.

All the wiring was done by the builder's spark prior to us moving in and they have fitted a 3 gang switch adjacent to the back door which upon moving in didn't appear to operate anything (I was actually a little puzzled as to why they had put a 3-gang switch to control 2 light points).

Any-who I cracked on today and did the low level light first. The cable used was twin & earth, and I was slightly confused when doing a continuity test and only getting bells when all three switches were thrown, but I proceeded.

The low level light went in fine and worked, and lo and behold one of the 3 switches began to turn on my Kitchen down-lighters (there is another switch at the other side of the Kitchen that we had been using).

Now, the high level wiring has been done in 3-core + E. The continuity test gave bells to the brown and grey wires so these were made off into the security light.

The light is not working.

I can however hear the PIR clicking on and off so I'm hoping it's the lamp. The use of 3C + 3 is bugging me though.

Can anyone shed any light (excuse the pun)??

Sponsored Links
Possibly the electrician installed 3 core and earth so that the lamp and PIR get Live and neutral and the switched live from the PIR is returned to the switch to enable one of the switches to over ride the PIR to put the lamp on. This by connecting switched live to live by a switch.

Thank you for the swift reply!!

The fitting does have an L & L1 terminal, however there is a label on the L1 terminal saying "slave use only"

The wiring diagram also only shows a twin and earth connection.

I also didn't get any bells on my tester when checking continuity on the 3rd core whether the switch was thrown or not.

If I turn the switch off the PIR doesn't click.

Guessing of course but I wonder if the electrician intended you to connect to switch or if there is a junction box for you to connect to?

Seems like you have picked up a switched line wire instead of a neutral wire.

Sponsored Links
The continuity test gave bells to the brown and grey wires so these were made off into the security light.
Can you explain a bit more about your "continuity test". A continuity test tells you whether two items are connected together. This could be two ends of a cable or one end of a cable and a terminal on a switch.

What make is the lamp fitting and is there a data sheet / installation manual for it that can be read on line ?

The spark had left the cable folded over on itself within the wall with a white plastic cap covering the hole.

The switch is on the other side of that wall approx 1m below and was already wired.

A simple 1-way arrangement would be the most obvious solution, and the tests I've done so far all point in that direction.

I've just popped the switch-plate off and there is a snipped black cable coiled up in the box. That's that out of the equation then.

However there is also a link between the COM terminals in the switch across 2 of the 3 gangs. These are the 2 gangs that control the outside lights. COuld that have anything to do with it?

The continuity test gave bells to the brown and grey wires so these were made off into the security light.
Can you explain a bit more about your "continuity test". A continuity test tells you whether two items are connected together. This could be two ends of a cable or one end of a cable and a terminal on a switch.

What make is the lamp fitting and is there a data sheet / installation manual for it that can be read on line ?

I was curious as to which switch controlled which light. Therefore after killing the power I threw each switch individually and put my tester on the open ends of the cores.

It's a Wickes 500W Security Floodlight 702839/702840. Not sure if there's a manual online (I'm having to use a pay as you go broadband dongle until BT sort out my broadband so I don't really want to trawl for stuff :oops: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back