Help wiring external light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope some kind fellow can help me. I have a new build house with three outside lights controlled by three switches inside the house (one in the kitchen, one in the living room and one in the utility room). The switches I assume turn them all on and off.

I tried to fit one light but it won't work. No power at all.

I have four cores Grey, Black, Brown and bare copper wire. From Googling I assumed that;

Grey = Neutral
Black = Nothing
Brown = Live
Bare Copper = Earth

I connected grey to blue, brown to brown and bare copper to earth in the light fitting but it doesn't work!?

Should both black and brown go to brown to loop up the circuit?

Sponsored Links
Your lack of knowledge implies you need an electrician.

Why for instance do you think a black wire would be for nothing?

The internal switches are not wired up!! All three of them are the same. I have two blues in a connector then a loose brown and black. Photo attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20180719_131534.jpg
    IMG_20180719_131534.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 277
So in summary. All three switches inside look like the one in the photo and all three light sockets outside have brown, grey, black and copper.

Any tips?

Sponsored Links
Your lack of knowledge implies you need an electrician.

Why for instance do you think a black wire would be for nothing?
I did A Level physics.. does that count? hehe..

This can't be complex. The black wire is for PIR I assume (always on).

This can't be complex.
It isn't.

But for as long as you think you can do it by assumptions and guesswork, and without any testing or any understanding of how lighting circuits work, it will be too complex for you to fiddle with. You basically have to choose between Plan A and Plan B.

PLAN A:
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.
There are some irresponsible people here who will tell you that there is a Plan C, which is to start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why. Please don't listen to them - you must know what, and truly understand what, you are doing.

Electrical-installation-by-guesswork is a foolish idea.

There is no Plan C for anybody sensible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back