External shed door, how much of an expansion gap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Im in the process of building a small shed that i need to be water tight and insulated (i know its going to be a bit of a project).

I am constructing the frame out of 63 x 38 treated cls. Im also making the doors (double doors opening outwards away from each other) out of this.

I intend to seal the gaps of the door with AQ21 seals.

What sort of expansion gap would i require so that the doors still open when the wood swells due to rain?

The AQ21 requires a max 7.5mm gap. But when ive done external doors in the past, ive left a 5mm gap and it still swelled up that much i had to shave some off.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Seal is unsuitable for shed door, better to design the doors with an overlapping exterior so they can be left with a wide gap between the frame while the overlap keeps them weather tight. Large overhang on roof would also help keep the weather off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back