external staircase question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We currently have a garage attached to the rear of our house where the flat roof is used as a large balcony. Behind this, we have a garden. The height from garden to garage roof is just over 2 metres.

I am looking to get a wooden staircase installed from the garden to the balcony. Obviously, I'll speak to ghe council about any building regs or planning requirements.

I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on what I should do where the bottom of the staircase hits the garden. My options are to put a concrete base there and attach the stringers to that. Or, concrete some short lengths of 4x4 into the ground and attach the stringers to those. Any ideas which would be best?

Thanks,

Rob

Sponsored Links
Cast concrete bases are very commonly used for this purpose in my experience. Timber stringers to ground or even other timbers is a recipe for accelerated rot and premature failure IMHO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back