External steps and regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
External steps and regs. Had some steps built using bricks and topped with Indian Sandstone but some are about 10mm difference in the rise measurements (190 & 200 mm). My BC tells me they need to be uniform to within a few millimetres. He's not seen them yet, will 10mm difference be OK given the difference in the thickness of the sandstone?

Sponsored Links
I cant see external steps failing if they are within 10mm -thats pretty much a fair building tolerance for hard landscaping

you will need railings if they are over 600mm

The thicker slab could be bedded down or the thinner one bedded up to create uniform steps. Or use a different product. So "can't do it" is not an argument

The problem is that the human mind and instinct expects steps to be equal. There is a tolerance, so you'll need to find out what standard the officer will apply.

Maybe the OP shouldn't have raised the issue with the inspector in the first place?
If it's only a short flight, he may never have noticed 10mm dfference.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, the steps are on a steep slope and my builder tells me that the only way he can do it is to make the very last step about 100 mm (so half the height of the others). Given that this is the final step, will that be OK given its nice and shallow?

FFS, that's out and out dangerous. Rubbish builder screwed up.
Yea that's my thoughts too. Guess the only other way is to redo them

The steps are double sided leading to a platform and are significantly different one side to the other as well. Does this matter (being 2 seperate set of steps) or should both sides be the same?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back