Set of external steps

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi

I need to build an external staircase ( domestic use) using pressed steel-steps.

The side-pieces are 50 mm x 250 mm x 6m long and the steps will be 800 mm wide.

I've never built anything like this before so, going by logic that the loading is not going to be enormous, envisage one pair of intermediate vertical supports ( probably wood ).

Would you agree ? Will probably use 120 mm dia posts because I have some on hand.

When the steps reach ground-level I thought it would be a good idea to keep the wood off the ground and will build a couple of small "pillars " the height of the first riser to achieve this.

Please let me know if you think there is anythin missing.

By the way, I live in France so , depending how you see it, I either don't have to worry about a BCO or there is no BCO to get advice from.

Sponsored Links
Hi mointainwalker,

here in England & Wales the BRegs that cover steps are Part K. Approved Document K - "Protection from falling, collision and impact" is quite prescriptive in the required, goings, risers, pitch, guardings etc. I would be very surprised if there was not an equivalent French standard to which you would have to work.

Approved Docs can be downloaded from the PP portal here

hth

Thanks for the link hotrod, it's often useful to have these docs as a backstop.

As for the French situation, I can assure you that is the way it is if you are doing your own work ( with the exception of electricity where it has to be checked ).

There are rules and standards for professionals which they have to adhere to , but there is no enforcement, no BCO that I have ever seen.

When my plans were submitted for planning approval, there was a new floor 9.5 m x 6.5 m being added at third-floor level ( old barn conversion). The drawings only showed lines: there was no mention if the floor was wood, concrete or papier-mache nor a single calculation.

Moreover the plans were undimensioned because they don't have to be, so architects leave the dims off.

Until recently the authorities had no powers to enter the dwelling to check interior lay-out, so you could install a vast swimming-pool ( if you were so inclined )instead of the interior you got permission for.

Seems very strange but , in this area at least (Alps) it seems to work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back