Stepped foundation on a slope of 1 in 10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

For a University project we have to design a building situated in the woodland, on a 1 in 10 slope. I've been looking at foundation types and not sure wether it would be best to use a stepped foundation of pile foundation.

The building is 9 metres high and occupies a ground footprint of 6m x 4m.

Thank You

Sponsored Links
It depends on ground conditions. A stepped strip foundation is the cheapest, but piles are used in certain cases.

Why don't you research the different approaches instead of asking on a forum? Lazy student bum! :rolleyes: No wonder this country's gone to the dogs!

Why don't you research the different approaches instead of asking on a forum? Lazy student bum! :rolleyes: No wonder this country's gone to the dogs!

Why don't you get off your high-horse and look into what a HELP forum is, rather than tying all students with the same brush. Now, if I was a 30 year old man, what would you say ? No wonder this country is getting worse in terms of human interaction and violence.

I've 4 construction books on my desk, I asked an opinion as to what would be the best. Simple.

stuart45: We're not told the soil conditions or even the site location, thats how vague University is ! We have to guess.

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Did your lecturer intend for you to research the different types of foundation or ask on a forum? Will you be informing your lecturer that you 'researched' your answer by asking a tradesman on a DIY forum? Jeez! :LOL: Sounds like your lecturer is no better. Its a slippery slope alright.

There should be a new forum rule: No Student Bums cheating on their homework allowed!

No, out lecture just assume we will ' make something up 'and depending on how they feel, they will ask us. I've been studying since October, it's not possible to learn every attribute of building.

To think, I'm the younger person here and I'm acting much more mature than you. I'll be the better person and leave this ' help ' section.

Have a nice day

If it is in woodland and for example on a clay type soil then engineer designed piles are the best and possibly only route to go.
If you want to play it easy, then assume stone ground and go with stepped foundations, but for a building of that size and if you can get a decent digger in why would you bother with steps, pull the foundations out and trench fill.1in10 aint a massive slope for your building size.
It may be worth you mentioning ground conditions in your project as in reality they play the main contributing factor to foundation design.
As you say this is an advice forum so please ask away if you need any help.
Good luck.
FMT do you never have to ask advice about anything ??

Did your lecturer intend for you to research the different types of foundation or ask on a forum? Will you be informing your lecturer that you 'researched' your answer by asking a tradesman on a DIY forum? Jeez! :LOL: Sounds like your lecturer is no better. Its a slippery slope alright.

There should be a new forum rule: No Student Bums cheating on their homework allowed!

wind your neck in freddy hes asked for help, why give him grief straight off?

i admit he did bite abit though!

Get real guys, in your youth when you were studying did you even have the web as a resource or did you have to get off your backside and find out for yourself? :rolleyes:

when i was studying i used the library and would also pick up the phone to ask people questions or ask contractors on site when i went on site visits. If the internet had been there i would have used it and if a forum had been here i would have used it. At least give him a chance. You can soon tell a total freeloader to one thats actually trying. We all have to learn.
If you want to be a msierable git and take your knowledge and experiance to teh grave thats up to you, id rather pass on what i know.

rant over!

Agree with Thermo, I for certain if I need to do research etc will use any means available and will ask even if I risk making myself look stupid.

I have to say (and I may open a can of instant flame here) but his use of the forum as a resource is just the same as myself the lowly diy'er.
Would you treat a DIY'er the same way? Not from my experience on here most would ask to provide a bit more info before passing a small amount of their experience on.

And btw even primary schools are telling pupils to use any and ALL resources be it the library, family or The Web.. I've quite enjoyed helping my nine year old doing her WW1 project (although she can use google better than I sometimes!!)

Just my own personal opinion from someone else who doesn't give a monkeys how daft I look asking a question.

There's a difference between helping a DIYer and a student. So if a child studying for his Maths GCSE comes on and asks the answer to his maths homework thats ok then? Or should he work it out for himself? Your nine year old is asked the size of Mobilised Forces Russia had during WW1, should he research the answer or ask on a WW1 forum? :rolleyes:

The vagueness of the question is deliberate. It's designed to get you thinking about all the possibilities rather than fixing on one approach, which you might do with a bit more information. My advice is give a quick overview of all the main options, say why you selected the one you did and occasionally refer back to the selection process when you cover particular advantages of your chosen option.

There's no book that is going to say; a so-and-so foundation in woodland should always be built with x, y and z. The same rules apply in woodland as anywhere else; ground conditions, soil type, loading, access (can you get a piling rig in there?) tree species and distance, etc.

You could even say the woodland is a red herring. More people get caught out by trees in back gardens that they do in woodland. Treat the site as you would any other and go through the general site investigation process just like any other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back