Foundations for a log cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about building a log cabin.
Construction will be 100x50 timber frame, skinned with 9mm ply and cross battened outer skin.

As it will be located a good 400metres away from any roads in woodland i was thinking of alternatives to a concrete base as this will be costly because
A) the area is a bowl shape
B) not sure of the soil beneath and possibly clay ie lots of foundation needed?

First of all from a logistical position much easier for me to dump ballast in a mini dumper and mix concrete with a petrol mixer for pile foundations about 6ft deep dropping 8ft concrete posts onto pads and filling with concrete. Therefore less aggregate needed.

Am i over doing it here will the timber building still need pile foundations. Is this not deep enough? (lets say it's clay here and the land is up on a hill)

This is something ive undertaken before, using a hired digger and auger.
However there are challenges getting the holes level and perfectly placed. The ground im not sure about i think it could be clay but not sure.

Any other suggestions or thoughts here?

How would you lay adequate foundations for a 6m x6m wooden cabin as above (supporting a timber base)

TIA

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back