External Stop Valve (water) How can I locate it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone,

Wonder if you can help me with 2 queries:-

I have recently bought a duplex flat (purpose built above a shop rather than converted) where the internal stopcock is difficult to operate - it won't shut off completely. Whilst changing it is well within my capability, I cannot locate the external stopcock to turn off in order to guard against any mishap.

Neither the local council (the landlord and freeholder - I pay a lease and service charge) nor the water authority seem interested in helping me locate it - each claiming it's the others responsibility.

How can I overcome this impasse - I want to be responsible and safe before starting work?

If I can't locate it would anyone endorse using an aerosol freezing kit on mains pressure?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Sponsored Links
Freezing will work on mains. Or you could add another stop tap after the stop tap. Shut off best you can and snatch it. Plenty of towels down.

Nath

It's the water authority's responsibility, right up until the stop tap in the street. Insist that they aid in finding it and don't take no for an answer!!

Actually had the same problem yesterday, customer doesn't know where their internal stop cock is, found three so far, one for the boiler for DHW, one in the kitchen just isolates kitchen and one upstairs that does a toilet but not one that shuts off the whole house and the other toilet, been outside and cannot locate a 'normal' external one. Well found an acccess but it must be at least 2 meters down, never seen a cold mains that far down, doesn't meet regs that's for sure and not got a key that long. Called Scottish Water, they'll be out in 2 days to locate and confirm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back