Where is the hot water stop tap located?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a conventional boiler with a water tank and cylinder in the loft. I'm trying to identify how to to stop the water. I've found the cold water stop tap and I'm able to turn that off but I note the cold water is still comming out of the faucets?

Is this the water from the cold water tank? I know the stop tap is working as I have a water meter and that stop turning when I close the stop tap.

What about the hot water stop tap - where would that be located, I cant find it any where.

I've uploaded some pics so hope some of you experts can identify it or point me in the right direction. Please advise in such a system how do i drain the system so no water comes out from the faucets?

stop cock:

cylinder:

pump located underneath boiler:

tank:

I've looked behind the insulated tank and I cant find a hotwater stopcock?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If you turn off the mains, then you should be able to run the taps that cold water comes out of unit the tank in the loft has emptied. Just check when you're running the taps that the tank in the loft is emptying.
The hot water gate valve should be on a pipe that connects to the bottom of the hot water cylinder. Find the pipe that goes into the base of the hot water cylinder and trace it back, you should come across a tap with a circular red wheel head on it, that's the gate valve.

As Herts asks, why are you wanting to turn the hot n cold water off? need to be careful about airlocks when filling cold water cistern back up, have the hot and cold taps open a bit when you turn it all back on

The cylinder is a fortic/combination. That means the header tank and immersion heater cylinder are integral.
Turning off the cold stop cock will turn off both hot and cold water, but both will have to drain off which will take some time.

There should be a gate valve somewhere between the hot draw-off on the cylinder and the hot taps:
GateValve.jpg

What are you trying to do?

Andy

turn the hot water off??? :LOL: :p

Like I said "what are you trying to do?"

As mentioned, turn off mains, drain down, fit new lever valves where the gate valve is. Then work from there, then you can refill the system knowing that the lever valves will and not leak like gate valves do.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back