external upvc window sealant gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

House is around 5yrs old and whilst up fitting christmas lights a few months ago I noticed some pretty big gaps and poor sealant around my 1st floor windows. The windows are always cold, when windy you can feel wind and the cold air from them so I want to solve this.

windows.jpg

Photo attached isn't the best quality but hopefully it shows the poor silicone application from the builders.
Am I right in thinking best option is to remove it (best way of doing this? scraper/plastic spatula type? Looking at it I'm hoping I can grab it with pliers and it may remove in a whole row/line at a time as it doesn't look well attached!) and then re-apply using something like Everflex 450 with a wide nozzle and be generous so it really fills/falls into the gap to fill it, or should I be using something to apply inside the gap first due to the coldness creeping through? Some sort of filler inside the gap?

Thanks for and advice.
Andy

Sponsored Links
Talk about shoddy workmanship. Still, what you don't see doesn't harm you seems to be the motto of many these days.

I'd do something like this:

1. Remove existing silicon.
2. Fill cavity with expanding foam.
3. Fit upvc cloaking trim and silicon the edges as required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back