external wall construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just bought 1930s property (with 1980s extension).

long list of things need doing, but are living in the place.

Need to identify how exterior walls constructed, of house and extension.

would appreciate suggestions for how best to approach this?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Measure the window or door reveals for a start. It'll give you a good indication of the existence of a cavity, or not, assuming it's an 'all masonry' construction.
Is it rendered externally? Is it plastered or boarded internally? Tap with your knuckle to find out. A plastered finish will produce a more solid response than a board finish.

As said measuring the reveals will give you a pretty quick guide, if the total is around 12 inches or more it's most likely a cavity wall.

Alternatively ask the neighbour.

The first and easiest way is to look at the brickwork and see if there are regular headers (half bricks) in the wall and not just at the wall ends

Measuring the reveals is not accurate as old bricks and thick plaster can be as wide as two half bricks, a narrow cavity, and thin plaster

1930's would be leaning towards solid walls rather than cavity

Sponsored Links
Houses built in the 30's can vary. I have worked on ones that were cavity walls, but looked solid as they were built with snapped headers to look like Flemish bond. I have also seen solid walls built in stretcher bond.
Quite a few were built with cavity on the ground floor and 9 inch solid above which was rendered.
As it's your own property there is the option of drilling into the wall.

thanks so much guys

all walls are rendered (why...??) apart from the front of the house, so not able to see the brickwork there. Also, no windows at all in one of the flank walls.

Still, the front elevation looks like Flemish bond. I will measure the reveals and let you know.

would I be able to get any clues from looking at tops of walls where they end in the loft?

bit reluctant at this stage to get the drill out :)

cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back