External wall insulation - general questions thread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

I'm going to have external wall insulation done on my home under the Green Deal. We have solid walls and it's freezing in winter. Has anyone had this done, or done it themselves? I would really, really appreciate your help.

I don't have a clue what to look out for in terms of assessing different companies and I feel totally lost! The installers all tell me they do it more or less the same way, but there must be different materials, methods etc. that are used, right? I seem to be hitting up against a 'Just leave it to us, the professionals!' attitude. What choices do I have? What questions should I ask? Also, are there any unusual dependencies with this work that I should watch out for/any considerations I should bear in mind?

Feeling really nervous!

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure that this work should be covered by Building Regulations and an application made. So if any companies tell you otherwise, avoid them.
Ideally you would want the company to apply for Building Regs on your behalf, but insist on seeing the application and resulting correspondence, even having a copy.
You should, of course, receive and keep the final appoval.

http://www.havering.gov.uk/Documents/Planning/external-wall-insulation.pdf
Also, any substantial change in appearance may need Planning Approval.

One thing I'd advise doing is finding out how long the company has been in the EWI business, and how well established the system which they use is.

Basically be very wary of any installer and any systems which appear to have sprung up to take advantage of the Green Deal.

I think that polystyrene (EPS or XPS) is a better material to use than PUR/PIR - fewer shrinkage and damp-related problems. It starts out less efficient than PUR/PIR, but those lose performance over time as they outgas.

Ask them to explain what they do about moving pipes - gutter downpipes are not too tricky, but good old cast-iron soils stacks disappearing into the ground? Ditto what they do about window & door openings and soffit vents. Do you have anything attached to the walls, like lights, satellite dish, canopies/awnings? They'll need consideration. External gas or electricity meter boxes set into the wall?

And go and look at houses they have done - see how good their workmanship is, particularly with the detailing around window & door reveals, oversills, pipes etc.

Thank you so much!

One thing I'm nervous about is that, because it's insulated and then rendered, I'm worried that the render could hide a multitude of sins. BUT I don't know what the 'underneath' should look like, or how to tell whether it's a good job??

I also know nothing about pigmented renders, and which ones to choose. :(

I do have an old cast iron soil stack. One company has said they think they can board behind it and box it in - does that sound like a good solution?

Sponsored Links
I'm worried that the render could hide a multitude of sins. BUT I don't know what the 'underneath' should look like, or how to tell whether it's a good job??
You can get details of the system from the makers, assuming the installer can't give you a brochure, and that should have photos or drawings showing how it works and how it should look.

I also know nothing about pigmented renders, and which ones to choose.
You choose the one that goes with the EWI system you are having, and is the colour you like.

I do have an old cast iron soil stack. One company has said they think they can board behind it and box it in - does that sound like a good solution?
Sounds like it might be a recipe for cold spots, rain getting inside the boxing and potential future maintenance problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back