External wall light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a new porch light to replace an existing old one. While removing the old one I have noticed that it has no earth, the new light has a metal case and needs an earth connection.
Running a 3 core cable in is not really an option but I was wondering if it is ok (safe/legal) to run a separate earth cable from the light fitting to an earthing point?

Any advice gratefully recieved

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I can get to the cupboard containing the consumer unit fairly easily round the outside using trunking or the like.

Sponsored Links
I can get to the cupboard containing the consumer unit fairly easily round the outside using trunking or the like.
If you don't mind trunking then just wire it properly from the CU.

Easier to do as Winston suggested, though.

If all conductors are wired to the CU, that may not be a convient place to have a switch to control the light.

An earth cable run on its own has to be a minimum size. 4mm I think,

1 Sounds like a bigger bodge. And the black wire may not goto the switch.

2 could be dangerous or not ideal for someone performing maintance on the switch and it being connected to two different circuits on a 2 gang

Thanks guys, I went with Winston's suggestion and got a new fitting rather than do a bodge job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back