Replacing porch light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I've bought a new porch light and it arrived today but with no instructions. Quality seems good and it has CE mark et. It's made of steel and is (I think) plasti-coated black. There is an earth symbol sticker inside.
The existing light has a factory installed earth cable running from the wiring block to the nut on the back of the light, but the new one doesn't have this. I find it odd that I would be expected to fit an earth cable myself inside the lamp.
I have wired the earth cable from the wall to the earth port on the wiring block, but it just stops there. Should I now run an earth cable from the other end of the block to the nut on the back of the light to replicate the old one? Not switching on until I have the answer! Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Quality seems good and it has CE mark et. It's made of steel and is (I think) plasti-coated black. There is an earth symbol sticker inside.

I have wired the earth cable from the wall to the earth port on the wiring block, but it just stops there. Should I now run an earth cable from the other end of the block to the nut on the back of the light to replicate the old one?

CE may mean 'Chinese Export' :)

If you are suggesting that there is no connection between the earth terminal at the connector and the metal body of the fitting, it should be marked as double insulated - a square box, inside a square box, likely it will not be. Yes, add an earth wire from the earth terminal to the major part of the metal work. Use a star washer to ensure tightening the fixing cuts through and paint and a crimp cable lug preferably on the end of the cable.

Thank you Harry. Definitely no double insulated symbol. I'll use the one from the old light as it has the crimp cable lug already fitted. Disappointed that this wasn't factory installed though!

Sponsored Links
There should be a label or markings on the fitting, to say whether it is Class I or II. We need to see those.

If it turns out to be Class II, connecting an earth wire to the body of the fitting could be dangerous.

Some fittings use a tab of metal rather than a fire link into the connector block, others have a mounting screw through the middle of the earth connection block that picks up the earth that way, either way, adding an extra earth path will not be a problem :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back