External Wall Lintel Blockwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Just a quick question. Having a window firm open up my kitchen window to French doors.
They have left for night and infill of Catnic CX70/100 3300 is a lot patchwork.
Will this be a problem as the house falling down would totally ruin Christmas!!
I've attached pics and the supporting wall...

Thanks team
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
That's crap in many ways. A bodge would be a compliment

Also, that type of lintel is not designed for retrospective installation. And that's a very large span.

Are building control involved?

The drawings by SE listed that lintel.
Building Control are via the window company.

Can you elaborate please?

Thanks

This is not covered by FENSA. It should have a separate application for the structural work. Confirm that.

I can't see a proper SE specify that type of lintel. You need to have the manufacturer confirm its suitability - building control should do this though, but it needs to be confirmed.

The brickwork above is poorly bonded, there should be no straight joints. The joints are way too big, the bearing is useless with that massive joint, the vertical nib does not look at all bonded to transfer the load, and going by that standard of work, I'd wonder what the wall is like above the opening and if it's dropped or the joint properly slate packed and filled.

Sponsored Links
It very much depends on the loads above it. It could be covered under the competent persons for building control.

Talk to your local building control dept.. Not new!... I had a beam installed in a ground floor flat that we removed a wall... Under a competent person app. with beam size with loadings a provided to building control.

Don't really like the fact that someone has seen the need to centre prop the lintel. Your new doors are presumably plastic & thus won't be capable of supporting any vertical load- if they've propped it 'until the mortar goes off' then they've bodged it, the lintel should be on solid bearings packed up with slate as necessary to level. Unless that nib is all fresh mortar I suppose......still a bit shoddy.

And is that inner skin Thermalite blocks- the ones you can push a nail into pretty much with your hand? They're not designed for any serious load either.

What's above the lintel- second storey gable end or something less meaty?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back