External wall vents closed off - WHY?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Buying 3bed semi and noticed the cavity wall air vents are closed off (cemented) - anybody got any idea why this could be done?

Is it something to do with cavity wall insulation :?: (as there is insulation installed - wool)

Thanks, Ash

Sponsored Links
the sellers are selling on behalf of their parents - and say they don't know. The parents are about 80 and probably cannot remember as the house is vacant.

Ash

i see.

Let me see if i have this right. You want us to tell you why some one cemented over air vents on a vacant house that we dont know anything about, and you expect us to know that you have already asked the sellers, otherwise you would not have needed me to ask you said question in the first place

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
i see.

Let me see if i have this right. You want us to tell you why some one cemented over air vents on a vacant house that we dont know anything about, and you expect us to know that you have already asked the sellers, otherwise you would not have needed me to ask you said question in the first place

If you read my original post, I asked whether it might be something to do with the insulation being installed - (it could be that its a common thing, hence the question and the reason for this forum!)

Thermo said:
are they high or low level?

they are about 6" off ground level and about two bricks high (although i could not see any vents, just mortar filling a square section which i presume were the vents)

ash

people often sealed them off in the past to seal off draughts, not realising what they were for.

it looks like i'm going to have to accept that's the case (although there is a single brick vent for the chimney stack - on the same wall - that is still there!) :confused:

but you still have not got the definitive answer,(or answer you want) to which is "why was it done", you never will asking on a forum (sorry but its true)

As a guess I would say they were blocked when it had wool blown into the cavity, the chimney would not have been filled so no need to block.
If you poke one of the vents through with a driver you may see the cavity filling.
Pete

Fluffster said:
As a guess I would say they were blocked when it had wool blown into the cavity, the chimney would not have been filled so no need to block.
If you poke one of the vents through with a driver you may see the cavity filling.
Pete

Thanks, I think you may be correct - its the only 'logical' conclusion i can come to. Should it remain blocked?

I had a full building survey done on the house and there was no mention/concern of these vents being closed off in the report - although the report did pick up that there was cavity wall insulation installed.

Ash

are the floors to the rooms that the vents are affiliated too, timber suspended floors or solid concrete?

may have been timber originally and re-done in concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back