External Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Last year i painted 2 external wall, 3 coats on each wall. I have noticed today its stated to flake and crack. What did i do wrong?

Sponsored Links
Preparation perhaps? Did you use a decorators knife and possibly wire brush to remove any flaking, or pre flaking? Also, with the first, and even second coat, I would recommend Owatrol paint additive(or similar alternative) to help prevent damp or mould and flake.

Did you apply your paint over a painted surface or bare masonry, and did you in in anyway thin your paint system prior to application?

Dec

hi,
i painted a bare maisonary wall, with normal paint, didnt knowingly thin it anyway.

Sponsored Links
Then that would be the probable cause of your problem, it is imperative that when you paint bare masonry that your first coat is thinned around 10%. This allows the desired penatration to ensure a good bond is established in order to promote the adhesion of further coats.

Dec

What was the masonry like before you applied your paint? Was is powdery before you painted? It may be that you should have used a stabilizing primer prior to your masonry paint.

hi,
it was just a normal concrete wall in the garden, i gave it 3 coats. Can i use stabilizing fluid over the paint or do i scrape if off and start again?

Give it a good wire brushing then do as Dec says.

Oh hang on you say it's a garden wall? Not part of the house with a damp course?

You won't get anything to stick to that for long due to hydrostatic pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back