External waterproof wall socket

supersparks said:
so just put this on ur window....BR
and stare in disbelief as the glass breaks.

Sorry you can't do that as by heating the inside of the glass the outside of the glass being 0 degrees the difference in expanision rates will crack the glass.

Sponsored Links
Glass is a good conductor of heat - even the laminated stuff in cars.

If the pad was against the window, and was then switched on from cold I'd be gobsmacked if it would heat up so fast that it cracked the glass.

Have you never poured hot water at considerably more than 21C over an iced up screen to clear it?

breezer said:
supersparks said:
so just put this on ur window....BR
and stare in disbelief as the glass breaks.

Sorry you can't do that as by heating the inside of the glass the outside of the glass being 0 degrees the difference in expanision rates will crack the glass.
breezer im talkin about puttin it ontop of the ice mate its ip65 so...

Okay then what about a blowlamp :LOL: or better still take the windscreen indoors :!: :LOL:

ban-all-sheds "Have you never poured hot water at considerably more than 21C over an iced up screen to clear it?"

I once told my next door neighbour jokingly to put boiling water over it :!: and he went and done it :!: I've told him you can't do that :!: Ohhh yes I can it's a company car :!: Since then he hasn't cracked his windscreen yet,I bet mine would thou.......

Sponsored Links
Ah - company cars. They are very different to normal ones:

1. They travel faster in all gears, especially reverse.
2. They accelerate at a phenomenal rate.
3. They enjoy a much shorter braking distance.
4. They can go over sleeping policemen at twice the speed of private cars.
5. Oil, battery, tyre pressures and fluid levels do not need to be checked nearly so often.
6. They have a much tighter turning circle.
7. The floor is shaped like an ashtray.
8. They only burn the cheapest petrol available.
9. They do not have to be garaged at night.
10. They can be driven up to 100 miles with the oil warning light on.
11. They need cleaning less often, especially inside.
12. The suspension and boot floor are reinforced to allow paving slabs and other heavy building materials to be carried.
13. They are adapted to allow reverse to be engaged while the car is still in forward motion.
14. The tyre side walls are designed for bumping into and over kerbs.
15. Unusual and alarming engine noises are easily eliminated by the adjustment of the radio volume control.
16. No security is need. They may be left anywhere, unlocked, with the keys in the ignition.

:LOL:

Hey what about this :?:

Then instead of starting the engine maybe if it possible plug the lighter connector into a adapter via mains ? Not sure what sort of heat output you get out of this small heater or am I wasting my time?

masona said:
:LOL:

Hey what about this :?:

Then instead of starting the engine maybe if it possible plug the lighter connector into a adapter via mains ? Not sure what sort of heat output you get out of this small heater or am I wasting my time?
still think you would be better off with a reptile pad they are a3 paper sized, ip65, only card thick and cheep and IT WONT CRACK UR SCREEN
if it is laying on top of the screen
if not that why not just put a towl acros your screen? this insulates it and stopes it getting iced up

BR

Heat mats a good idea, as I keep reptiles myself and they do get warm, you could also use a tubular heater

Tubeheat.jpg

Come in different sizes to suit.

The problem with heating pads or towels etc is that they don't do anything to stop poor Masona from freezing his bits off while he drives....

That little heater looks quite neat - 150W should take the chill off the inside and defrost the screen.

Depending on how long it takes to work, how good your battery is and how long typically elapses between you getting up and leaving, you might not need to bother with external supplies or control gear - just plug it in a while beforehand and pop back indoors for a cuppa and a bit of toast.

But if you do need to run it off a house supply and timer, I'd suggest putting all that indoors, or in a suitably protected box in the porch, and running 12v to the car - a lot safer.

Folks here http://www.gadgets2u.co.uk/motoring.htm have a 200W model

ban-all-sheds said:
The problem with heating pads or towels etc is that they don't do anything to stop poor Masona from freezing his bits off while he drives....

That little heater looks quite neat - 150W should take the chill off the inside and defrost the screen.

Depending on how long it takes to work, how good your battery is and how long typically elapses between you getting up and leaving, you might not need to bother with external supplies or control gear - just plug it in a while beforehand and pop back indoors for a cuppa and a bit of toast.

But if you do need to run it off a house supply and timer, I'd suggest putting all that indoors, or in a suitably protected box in the porch, and running 12v to the car - a lot safer.

im pretty sure the heat mats r only about 150watts so y not put one inside the car an runit all nite(put it on the drivers seat) this would keepit warm inside and put a towel on the screen...prob solved and the seat would be warm lol ;)
also i think the tube heaters are about the same although i never used em :confused:

Many thanks for the idea & I didn't think I get this far !! Can't make up my mind yet,so a few more question!
I don't really want to use the car battery for supplying the power as I would need as much as possible juice from my battery to start the car specially in cold morning.
The real biggest problem I'm having is when I get in the car all the windows steam up and turn to ice inside in no time and the possible reason I lived near the seaside with cold damp air and that when I have to pull over half way up the road as I can't see where I'm going! And this can take up to 15/20 mins with the full blower on which is even more noisy plus my diesel engine waking the neighbour's up!

Superspark,
The reptile pad,how does it works ? electric wire element ? mains ? , 12v etc and how is it connected up?

il78,
The tubular heater,are these the type to keep reptiles warm as well ? Would they be too hot for me to remove it when I need to ? and how it is connected up ?

ban-all-sheds,
I go straight of the house and have breakfast at work because the way our shift pattern works.Do you know if I can buy a cig lighter socket plug into the 12v transformer via 240v main? or any other way of running 12v to the car ? What I was thinking maybe I can drill a little into the wall for the cig lighter socket to go thru' then plug it inside with the timer?

masona said:
Many thanks for the idea & I didn't think I get this far !! Can't make up my mind yet,so a few more question!
I don't really want to use the car battery for supplying the power as I would need as much as possible juice from my battery to start the car specially in cold morning.
The real biggest problem I'm having is when I get in the car all the windows steam up and turn to ice inside in no time and the possible reason I lived near the seaside with cold damp air and that when I have to pull over half way up the road as I can't see where I'm going! And this can take up to 15/20 mins with the full blower on which is even more noisy plus my diesel engine waking the neighbour's up!

Superspark,
The reptile pad,how does it works ? electric wire element ? mains ? , 12v etc and how is it connected up?

il78,
The tubular heater,are these the type to keep reptiles warm as well ? Would they be too hot for me to remove it when I need to ? and how it is connected up ?

ban-all-sheds,
I go straight of the house and have breakfast at work because the way our shift pattern works.Do you know if I can buy a cig lighter socket plug into the 12v transformer via 240v main? or any other way of running 12v to the car ? What I was thinking maybe I can drill a little into the wall for the cig lighter socket to go thru' then plug it inside with the timer?

http://www.jklsreptile.homestead.com/forsale.html
this is the first link i found, at least it will give you an idea of size, price and what im talkin about

BR

The heater pads work like an aquarium heater (230v) but you put them under neath instead of inside, wattage is dependant on size, nip into W.H.S, pick up a practical fishkeeping mag and scan to the back (you will need the reptile ones though but made by same company). you'll get a name then.
you go from you're mains to an electronic (living earth is one make) thermo, from this to you're mat. I've used one of these (for fish tank) mats under a 4' x 1 1/2' x 2' deep tank for 15 yrs, not boiled or froze fish yet. Won't over heat, leave it on all night in back of van should keep the chill off just depends how big you need the mat to be.
You know what they say, the bigger it is, the more power it has !!

Tubular heaters do get hot, you would have to adapt a bracket to suit.....or do what I do in cold mornings......

kaw-zx6r-1-bikepics-00257.jpg

GET EVEN COLDER :(

il78 said:
Tubular heaters do get hot, you would have to adapt a bracket to suit.....or do what I do in cold mornings......

kaw-zx6r-1-bikepics-00257.jpg

GET EVEN COLDER :(
Take it you only need to carry a screwdriver then il78 :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back