Socket in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I know sockets are not allowed in bathrooms. However, I am in a pickle. A friend of mine has tiled the en suite I am building when I was away (I can't even stick a sticker on straight so no tiling for me...) and he has simply tiled around the existing sockets and light fitting on the assumption that I could sort it out later....

How can I make this up to code?

1) Can I simply replace the socket with a shaver socket or, alternatively, just blank it off with a waterproof plate?
2) Can I just install a bathroom-suitable light fitting with the right IP rating where the light fitting used to be pre en-euite building?
3) The switch on the right wall is actually a fuse switch for lights in the cupboard. Do I need to replace that as well with a waterproof version?

Attachments

• 20220428_160332.jpg
    20220428_160332.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
If you didn’t want them there(or not at all) then you should have completely removed the lighting. You cannot, must not, leave live cables in a wall and cover them over. So your bad, I am afraid.
1. Yes. Either a shaver socket or a blank panel. Or remove the wires and get it retiled.
2. Can’t see the light, but essentially yes.
3. the switch is ok there, but it should be ON the tiles, not recessed IN the tiles.

Hi,

Thanks.

I did want a shaver socket and light fittings there. I just had not yet thought about how to ensure making the electrics safe. He kindly tiled when I was on holiday so I didn't get the chance to sort it out first. He had no further time for a couple of months so I decided it was worth taking the risk. Yes, I assumed he would tile so that the socket would sit on top of the tiles. I will just have to install a riser plate behind it or something like that.

I have not yet bought light fitting because I just wanted to check. There was a light in the wall when it was still a bedroom. So I can just buy a suitable light and install it there?

Thanks for the reassurance that I don't have to start all over again :)

Attachments

• 20220428_162522.jpg
    20220428_162522.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 63
Ah sorry. I see now.
You can have a shaver socket where the double is IF there is no chance of water spray. It is in zone 2, so special requirements. Again, I have never ever seen a tiler sink sockets etc in the tiles (at least, not one who knows what they are doing).
What a mess, it would have looked great if you had prepped it properly.

Sponsored Links
For my showroom that had a socket, I removed completely and put in a 5amp fused spur connector in its place that then fed a 1.5mm cable in for the shaver & toothbrush sockets. Your friend should have known not to leave sockets in the bathroom!

Yeah. He simply tiled around the existing sockets as the room used to be a bedroom. But hey, beggars can't be choosers. I can make that look neat, but I can't tile, so as long as I can make it look ok and safe, I am happy with it :)

Replacing the double socket for a shaver socket?

I've never seen a double socket simply removed and a shaver socket put in it's place - doesn't feel right to put a shaver socket direct to a 16-32 amp circuit, without a 3 or 5 amp FCU somewhere.

Also unlikely there is a 47mm deep back box to accept a bathroom shaver socket what with the space the transformer takes up.

Connectors and blank plate for me.

Last edited:
I can replace the backbox with a deeper one, but I am leaning towards connectors and a blanking plate. The shaver socket was merely a solution for not having to remove the wires etc now that I am a little limited with the options after the tiling. But if a terminal block and blanking plate with silicone sealant around the edges is ok, then that is my preferred solution in the end.

You can get get white plastic 10mm thick spacer grids that go between the wall and the faceplate that will help to make the faceplate stand out a bit from the tiles - it looks incredibly naff with faceplates 'sunk' into the tiles like that (he should have loosened off the faceplates and tiled just behind them).

Yeah. In his defence, he is a joiner and carpenter, he is 69 and he built the entire en suite, tiled the walls and installed the shower cubicle in 4 days. Saving me several thousands of pounds. Tiling is not his best skill out of all of them. I intend to live in this house for another decade or so, so in the end, I am ok with it not being perfect, in exchange for the cost saving.

Yeah. In his defence, he is a joiner and carpenter, he is 69 and he built the entire en suite, tiled the walls and installed the shower cubicle in 4 days. Saving me several thousands of pounds. Tiling is not his best skill out of all of them. I intend to live in this house for another decade or so, so in the end, I am ok with it not being perfect, in exchange for the cost saving.
upload_2022-4-28_20-24-13.png

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back