External Window Reveals - best course of action?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

when you see the photos below, you'd likely say best course of action is to rip off the whole facade and re-roughcast......however I'm looking to spend less with a view to making it better with a view to selling in next couple of years

I'm really not sure how to sort this mess out

Basically I have 3 main annoyances
1. Locally cracked roughcast render
2. Crap window sealant, (9yr old replacement windows, 2 at ground floor + 2 at 1st floor)
3. Crap reveals/ingoes.

Before we bought the house, looks like someone has tried to screed (or some sort of screed-come-paint type coating) the original reveals, which is not only unsightly, but now flaking off. In 3rd photo you'll see the original render has some erosion happening, perhaps why they coated over it.

When they replaced the windows, the reveals suffered a bit, and their render reinstatement & sealant not very good.

Best course of action without re-roughcasting whole facade?

1. re-dress cracked roughcast by chipping 1 or 2 render coats off locally - i appreciate i wont get perfect match but better than visible crack

2. can the 1 or 2 coats of the reveals be removed, and re-done, or scrape off that grey coating and render over top of existing & re-seal with mastic - or will it be a dogs breakfast - just trying to get it better than it is, and stop any water getting in through sealant & cracks

Thanks

Nmo68Yo.jpg

ZpGvMEk.jpg

amDskvR.jpg

Sponsored Links
Anyone out there able to suggest how to tidy things up re cracked harling and defective ingoes/reveals as per above post?

Grateful for your thoughts

As Alastair has said, if you try to patch roughcast, or any other rough surface, you'll see it a mile away. The reveals can be redone, but with care and patience, and by someone who knows what they're doing.
Structural cracks on brickwork, render, roughcast etc, are a different kettle of fish. They can be "stitched" together, again, by someone who knows what they are doing, but this is quite a major task, and unless the whole area is re-roughcasted, it will show up as "patched"

Sponsored Links
For the window reveals, I'd paint them with a stone paint, nearest colour match.
And re-do the sealant.

I've seen a bodge that actually paid off.
This bloke lined the reveals with aquapanels exterior and painted them with sandtex brilliant white.
5 years later they still look good.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
So many questions, sorry.

Understood the roughcast wouldn't be a perfect match but less unsightly than the crack? and less likely to feature in a surveyors report. Would you chip off say a 12" wide strip back to blockwork then new scratch coat and new top coat complete with stones?

For the reveals, remove back to blockwork or just remove outer coat? is first coat 4:1:1 soft sand:cement:lime then second coat 5:1:1 of the same? Can you guys tell if it is white cement or grey?

Does lime help it expand/contract when up against the pvc window frame which probs moves quite a bit in the direct sun?

Any particular spec for the brown sealant?

Thanks again

Hi folks - need to do a patch repair at the crack ref the photos in 1st post above - can anyone advise how to approx match the colour of the (30 Yr old) 2nd coat render. I know unlikely to get perfect match but like to try obviously.
I believe the chippings are Canterbury Spar.

white cement + brown sand?
grey cement + some white + brown sand?
grey cement + lime + brown sand?

Current plan for 2nd coat is 5:1 sand cement

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back