External Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
I have a shed in my back garden, some 10 metres from the back of the house. My main power and breakers are in my garage, some 25 metres further away. I have a concrete path down the side of my house, making a cable run tricky there. I am after power for one light in the shed, 2 normal sockets (radio/tool or lawn mower) and a telephone.
My questions are :
1) Is it best/advisable or law to run the power from my garage, and not tap off from the back of my house?
2) I read that phone and power cables should be seperate - so two cable runs are required ?
3) I am also putting in low power lighting, socket, and pond pump in the back garden. Would i run this to the shed, garage or from the house ?

Any info help would be great.
thanks all

Sponsored Links
It is always recommended to run the power from the main electricity point in the house - the garage in your case. Given your load requirements, I'd put in a 20 amp radial, in 4mm² (this sounds ok for the distances mentioned, though i havent done VD calcs). Theres nothing stopping you running the armoured cable along the house wall.

2. it wont make that much difference, to be honest, though I would run 2 conduits underground. 100mm solvent weld drainpipe is ideal for this.

3. Depends where you want control of it from. Though in my opinion, it is best to have all garden electric on a dedicated circuit.

If your shed is 25m from the garage, then you could run a 2.5mm 3 core
SWA, protected by 20A RCCB in the garage, or 20A CB from the RCd
side of the CU in the Garage.

This will give you nearly 4500W loading. May be 4000W load on the
sockets and 500W Lighting load from a FCU off the main circuit fused at
3A, supplying a 500W external PIR + an internal Light.

4mm main cable will allow you to run a load of 7350W from a 32A CB,
Maybe future proof?

You could run the telephone cable in the same duct if you use a double shielded telephone/data cable, and properly earthed.

Sponsored Links
Mosez said:
SWA, protected by 20A RCCB in the garage, or 20A CB from the RCd side of the CU in the Garage.
I think you are probably meaning an RCBO instead of RCCB - an RCCB does not provide overcurrent protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back