External Worcester Heatslave 18/25

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
External Worcester Heatslave 18/25.
Christmas day the heating went off and dinner was on our laps in front of the log burner, Boxing day was scratching our heads, checking pressures, bleeding rads, re-setting trip switches etc. Finally the heating came on. The next day I turned the heating on and although you could hear the burner the central heating water wasn't circulating as this can be heard and felt at the first rad, I tried again and it came on and lasted until New Years Eve, it went off at lunchtime.
I suspected pump as it was making a sort of ticking sound, I tried bleeding the pump and got water from the screw, I removed the silver bleed screw and found a bit of loose plastic inside? which was removed. Pump turned freely and when we did have power there it rotated albeit much slower than I would have expected.
I can turn the boiler on most mornings and it will run but no DHW or CH and after a few minutes it trips the boiler reset button then nothing. Pressures are fine, everything has been bled, burner will ignite and everything gets hot inside cabinet but no heating or hot water?

Does anyone think it maybe the pump?

We live quite in quite a rural area, I have posted on a couple of sites that get tradesmen to contact you who want work but no replies yet. I can get a replacement pump from Screwfix tomorrow for £100, any idea's if this will solve it?

Sorry for first post being problems but from other posts I've read on here you guys were really helpful.
Kind regards
Brian

Sponsored Links
We live quite in quite a rural area, I have posted on a couple of sites that get tradesmen to contact you who want work but no replies yet. I can get a replacement pump from Screwfix tomorrow for £100, any idea's if this will solve it?

Most plumbers and heating engineers worth their salt are very busy, so unlikely you will find genuine people on such a site.

The tripping suggests not enough flow through the boiler - that could be due to a blockage in the system/pipes, or boiler, valve not opening properly, or the pump not moving the water through the system.

What colour is the water if you bleed the system?

Does sound like the pump is kaput, especially finding plastic in it and it not rotating as quick.

Most plumbers and heating engineers worth their salt are very busy, so unlikely you will find genuine people on such a site.

The tripping suggests not enough flow through the boiler - that could be due to a blockage in the system/pipes, or boiler, valve not opening properly, or the pump not moving the water through the system.

What colour is the water if you bleed the system?

Hi and thanks for the reply, water is just clear water, not black or dirty or anything.

Sponsored Links
Does sound like the pump is kaput, especially finding plastic in it and it not rotating as quick.

Hi and thanks for replying, the bit of broken plastic was just sitting in behind the bleed screw, no idea what it came off. Boilers 8 years old and been great. I can hear all the relays clicking on/off etc, boiler gets hot inside cabinet and pipes around boiler but nothing the further away you get from the divert valve. No hot water or heating, if I open the cabinet now it'll fire up and run for a few minutes then shuts down.

Is the pump spinning again? Couldn’t also be a diversion problem, although if the pump is weak, it might not have enough draw to pull it away from boiler.

Is the pump spinning again? Couldn’t also be a diversion problem, although if the pump is weak, it might not have enough draw to pull it away from boiler.

I'm glad you are still here, I have taken the cover off the boiler and removed the bleed screw from the end of the pump to reveal pump shaft. Pump shaft has a square hole in the end with a lump broken off the side [maybe the bit that I thought was plastic], I found a square key that fitted and the pump shaft turns freely.
I set the programmer to continuous on both the DHW and CH and raced outside to see what was happening, burner had fired up but pump wasn't turning so I turned it off.
Should the pump have been running?

Yes, pump should be running. Also I’m not up on oil boilers, so unsure if removing the cover is permitted by non qualified personnel. TerryWookfit might be better suited to answer that.

Pumps not spinning because it isn't getting any power, removed pump cover and stuck multi metre on it?
I traced feed back to PCB and pump supply runs through what looks like a thermostatic switch, I have no idea what controls this.
Was really hoping to get some heat this weekend, she's gonna kill me:(
As mentioned in the first reply, any heating engineer any good will be busy and living in the sticks don't help but will try and find someone.
Many thanks for your help and if anyone else can think of something I can check please let me.
Thanks
Brian

Perhaps you can post location on here? (Not full address) see if anyone local to you fancies the job?

Perhaps you can post location on here? (Not full address) see if anyone local to you fancies the job?

I'm in Withern Lincolnshire, mostly fields and cows.
Boiler hasn't had a service for about 3 years, recommended engineers are very busy and didn't want to take on new customers or failed to show, the not recommended ones I try to avoid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back