Extra battens for added insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maccca99
I have a 12ft x 10ft shed 2-2.5m high, with 37mm x 67mm posts, on walls and roof.

This means I can only put in 50mm insulation, allowing for breathable and vapour membranes. I'm not sure that would be warm enough for a large space.

If I were to I fix 37mm x 50mm battens to all the existing posts I could then put in 100mm insulation.

Would the structure be stable if I did that? I plan to use 18mm OSB to board.

Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210517_132541.jpg
    20210517_132541.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
Add the laths, but reduce your OSB to 12mm (18mm is very heavy and your shed framing isn't that heavy) and go for exterior grade OSB (as it is moisture resistant - never a bad idea in shed, I feel)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure that would be warm enough for a large space.

.... I could then put in 100mm insulation.

When you say "warm enough" you do realise that insulation keeps heat in and does not on its own make a room magically warm? So you have to heat it, and the insulation just reduces how fast the the heat escapes.

100mm of what insulation? 100mm of quilt will be as about as efficient as 50mm of PIR board.

Most of the heat is going out of the roof, so that needs more insulation than the walls.

Sponsored Links
I've got electrics in so will be able to heat it. I was thinking of rockwool, seems to be good acoustic insulation too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back