Extra deep circular boxes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing interlinked Kidde smoke alarms in my house, and the instructions it suggests using round dry-lining boxes in the ceiling to fix the alarm base into.

The ceilings in my house are lath-and-plaster which has been overboarded at some time with plasterboard, the total depth is 25-30mm (depending on the artex pattern in each room!). The deepest circular box I've seen allows 20mm plasterboard thickness. Does anyone know of dry-lining boxes that allow a deeper material?

Plan B is to trim away the lathes where the mounting lugs will go so the box clamps just the plasterboard and not the L&P, but as I have 10 alarms to fit I'd rather be able to perform one operation with a hole saw if possible.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Unfortunately those ones are limited to 17mm material thickness.

Looks like I'll be trimming a lot of laths!!! :LOL:

Is there not enough meat on the ceiling to install the detectors surface mounted or are they a flush fitting type?

Sponsored Links
Is there not enough meat on the ceiling to install the detectors surface mounted or are they a flush fitting type?

They could be surface mounted no problem as I could screw into a joist or install a noggin, but I thought I would stick to the manufacturer's instructions, even if it is a minor technicality that is unlikely to have any effect on the operation of the system! :D

Plan C:

Remove the lugs from the dry lining box
Use hole cutter to create a hole in the ceiling that the box just fits into - i.e. a tight fit
Glue the box in there with Gripfill or similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back