Dry lining box in ceik=ling for smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of fitting mains interlinked smoke alarms and would like advice on the best way to make the connections.

As there is no room in the smoke alarm for the connections, I intend using a dry lining box (1 gang) in the ceiling, fixing the smoke alarm fixing plate to that and using a terminal block (4 way - live, neutral, interconnect and earth) in the dry liner to make the connections. Is this acceptable or are there better ways of doing it.

The reason for this approach is that I want the connection to be relatively easy to access without lifting floor boards etc to enable a smoke alarm to be replaced if necessary in the future.

The problem I foresee is that the terminal block will be accessible without use of a tool - the smoke alarm will just twist off. Is that acceptable with respect to the regs?

Grateful for any suggestions or advice.

Cheers, Spirite.

Sponsored Links
You could install a four pole labelled Luminaire supporting coupling (LSC) socket on the ceiling and power the smoke alarms off that, that way you get the four poles required, and it's simple to disconnect the alarms for either cleaning, replacement or meggering tests.

A smoke alarm base would do the job, but I find that they would make the smoke alarm more ugly. They should really only be necessary when surface wiring is required.

Sponsored Links
do it like you say, everyone does

they shouldent just twist off though, should have a little tab thathas to be pushed in with somethingto allow you to turn them

i buy the easifit ones a couple of quid more but base is integral to detector

they are made by aico or ei

reallllllllllllllly good to work on

Round dry-line boxes are suitable as the smoke alarm back plate has to be screwed to the box and the screw centres are 50mm so fit without modifying. Use a terminal block behind the back plate. Regs fulfilled.

Im with Baldelectrician, Easi - fit smokes are soooooooooo simple & don't look bad either.

Thanks for all your help - will go for the dry liners as I've already got the alarms.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back